Ecological Modelling Specialist
Licensed Scientific Officer Other R3
This position is also posted as a Scientific Technical Officer 27 under requisition 63770
An eligibility list may be established
An excellent senior opportunity for a dedicated professional
The Ecological Modeling Specialist designs, implements, documents, and interprets mathematical ecological models to support statutory decision makers in making robust, defensible, and timely decisions on natural resource management and policy. The position provides expert advice to the Chief Forester, Minister, ministry managers and staff, and the public on the interpretation and implications of analysis results and associated uncertainties.
The capital of British Columbia, Victoria is a beautiful city, with beautiful beaches and harbours, and a variety of provincial parks to explore. Located on Vancouver Island, Victoria offers a bustling downtown scene and has a wide range of restaurants and entertainment venues to choose from.
With over 200 different occupations available in 280 communities across the province, we offer exciting opportunities for your career. Come be a part of the BC Public Service, a Top 100 Employer that embraces diversity, health and career growth. For more information, please see What We Offer.
The BC Public Service is committed to creating a diverse workplace to represent the population we serve and to better meet the needs of our citizens. Consider joining our team and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
For complete details about this opportunity, including accountabilities, please refer to the attached job profile. For specific position related enquiries, please contact Tyler.Muhly@gov.bc.ca. DO NOT SEND YOUR APPLICATION TO THIS EMAIL ADDRESS. For more information about how to create or update your profile and how to submit your application, please refer to the Job Application page on the MyHR website. If you are still experiencing technical difficulty applying for a competition, please send an e-mail to BCPSA.Hiring.Centre@gov.bc.ca, before the stated closing time, and we will respond as soon as possible to assist you.
NOTE: Applications will be accepted until 11:00 pm Pacific Time on the closing date of the competition.
In order to be considered for this position, your application must clearly demonstrate how you meet the education, experience and professional designation requirement as outlined below:
- Post-graduate degree in math, computer science, or in a natural resource field such as forestry, ecology, geography, wildlife, fisheries, or natural resource management, from a recognized university with specialization in ecological modeling AND a minimum of 1 year experience in the programming of mathematical/statistical ecological models; OR
- Under-graduate degree in math, computer science, or in a natural resource field such as forestry, ecology, geography, wildlife, fisheries, or natural resource management, from a recognized university AND a minimum of 3 years experience in the programming of mathematical/statistical ecological models.
- Demonstrated experience and ability developing, using and managing databases of spatial and aspatial data (e.g., PostgreSQL), and using these databases to build ecological models.
- Demonstrated experience and ability to build and use spatial and aspatial models of ecological systems using computer programming languages that support open source workflows (for example, C++, JAVA, SQL and R).
- Demonstrated experience and ability to develop, explain, and present findings, reports and summaries of technical results both verbally and in writing, in a clear and concise style that is appropriate to the audience.
- Registered, or eligible for registration, as a professional with the British Columbia professional association as required by the specialty area (i.e. Association of Forest Professionals, Institute of Agrologists, Association of Professional Engineers & Geoscientists).
Preference may be given to applicants with any of the following:
- Experience working with species-at-risk, forestry and land use policy in British Columbia.
- Experience working with the Ministry of Forests, Lands, Natural Resource Operations and Rural Development mandate, structure and legislation.
- Experience working with climate change impact models and assessing the impacts of climate change on natural resources, including forests and wildlife.
- Demonstrated experience training or instructing other technical experts on the development and use of ecological models.
- Demonstrated experience providing advice to decision makers regarding policy development and resource management, preferably in the natural resource sector.
Please include your registration number with the professional association as required by your speciality area, (i.e. Association of Forest Professionals, Institute of Agrologists, Association of Professional Engineers & Geoscientists) within your application. If you are not yet registered with the professional association in your specialty area, please explain how you are immediately eligible (i.e. currently a RFT member in good standing in Alberta or Saskatchewan and can immediately transfer to the ABCFP).
If you do not meet this qualification please apply to the Scientific Technical Officer opportunity through Requisition 63770.
Applicants selected to move forward in the hiring process may be assessed on the Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Competencies as outlined in the attached Job Profile located in the Additional Information section at the bottom of the posting.
A Criminal Record Check (CRC) will be required.
Cover letter required: NO – Please do not submit a cover letter as it will not be reviewed.
Resume required: YES – A resume is required as part of your application, however, it may not be used for initial shortlisting purposes.
Questionnaire: YES (COMPREHENSIVE) – As part of the application process, you will be prompted to complete a comprehensive online questionnaire to demonstrate how you meet the job requirements. Please allot approximately 60 minutes to complete the questionnaire.
IMPORTANT: Comprehensive questionnaire responses will be used to shortlist applicants against the job requirements. Please ensure you include all relevant information about your educational accomplishments and employment history including job titles, start and end dates (month and year) of your employment, and your accountabilities and accomplishments.