Team Lead, Research
Licensed Science Officer [Other] 4
This position is located in Kamloops, B.C.
An eligibility list may be established for future similar permanent and/or temporary vacancies in the Thompson Okanagan.
Applicants who do not fully meet the required qualifications may be considered for this position, but at a lower classification.
This position is also posted as a Biologist 30R via Requisition 53394.
The Ministry of Forests, Lands, Natural Resource Operations and Rural Development [FLNRORD] is responsible for stewardship of the province’s Crown land and natural resources. Overseeing a land base of 94.8 million hectares, the ministry makes, supports and advises on stewardship decisions for BC’s land and resources, and delivers services to provide environmental, economic, cultural and social benefits for all British Columbians.
The role of the Team Lead, Research is to provide supervision and licensed professional oversight for a geographic or headquarters program area, including managing staff and financial resources, managing stakeholder relationships, applying legislation, policies and professional standards in a consistent manner, participating in provincial policy development, and overseeing program delivery and technical and professional projects.
For complete details about this opportunity, including accountabilities, please refer to the attached job profile. For specific position related enquiries, please contact Eric.Valdal@gov.bc.ca. DO NOT SEND YOUR APPLICATION TO THIS EMAIL ADDRESS. Information and tips about how to complete your job application, including adding or editing your résumé and applying for jobs, are available on the following MyHR page: Your Job Application.
The BC Public Service is committed to creating a diverse workplace to represent the population we serve and to better meet the needs of our citizens. Consider joining our team and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Kamloops is an outdoor enthusiast’s dream come true! Surrounded by over one hundred lakes as well as the North and South Thompson rivers, water-based activities are very popular, such as fishing, kayaking, canoeing, rafting, and tubing. Snowmobiling, ice-fishing and cross-country & downhill skiing are popular activities when winter’s snow covers the landscape.
In addition to this exciting opportunity in an amazing location, the BC Public Service is an award winning employer and offers employees competitive benefits, amazing learning opportunities and a chance to engage in rewarding work with exciting career development opportunities. Regular, full time Professional Employee Association members are also entitled to 7% allowance in Lieu of Overtime Shiftwork and Standby [taken as time or money], have a 35 hour work week, and start off with 4 weeks’ annual paid leave entitlement. For more information, please visit What the BC Public Service offers You.
NOTE: Applications will be accepted until 11:00pm Pacific Time on the closing date of the competition.
To be considered for this position, your application must clearly demonstrate how you meet the education, experience and professional designation requirement as outlined below:
- A PhD in a related professional field as recognized by the relevant association, plus a minimum of three  years of relevant experience in natural resource, ecosystem or forest management; OR,
- Master’s degree in a related professional field as recognized by the relevant association, plus a minimum of five  years of relevant experience in natural resource, ecosystem or forest management; OR,
- Degree in a related professional field as recognized by the relevant association, plus a minimum of seven  years of relevant experience in natural resource, ecosystem or forest management.
- Registered as a fully licensed professional with the British Columbia professional association as required by the specialty area [i.e. Association of Forest Professionals, Institute of Agrologists, Association of Professional Engineers & Geoscientists], or immediately eligible for registration. Note: immediately eligible for registration is defined as being able to transfer a current membership from an applicable Canadian jurisdiction. Applicants must confirm their eligibility with the appropriate B.C. association.
- A minimum of two  years of experience supervising, leading, coaching and mentoring a diverse team of professional staff, including developing, reviewing and evaluating performance plans.
- Experience managing a budget.
- Valid BC driver’s licence.
Applicants selected to move forward in the hiring process may be assessed on the Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Competencies as outlined in the attached Job Profile.
A Criminal Record Check [CRC] will be required.
Professional Designation: YES – Please include your registration number in your application. You must be registered [or immediately eligible for registration] as a Professional Forester with the Association of BC Forest Professionals; OR, a Professional Agrologist with the British Columbia Institute of Agrologists; OR, a Professional Engineer/Geoscientist with the Engineers and Geoscientists of the Province of British Columbia.
Note: immediately eligible for registration is defined as being able to transfer a current membership from an applicable Canadian jurisdiction. Applicants must confirm their eligibility with the appropriate B.C. association [ABCFP, APEGBC, BCIA]. Confirmation of registration/ eligibility will be required before an offer of employment can be made.
Cover Letter: NO – Please do not submit a cover letter as it will not be reviewed.
Résumé: YES – A résumé is required as part of your application; however, it may not be used for initial shortlisting purposes.
Questionnaire: YES – As part of the application process, you will be prompted to complete a comprehensive online questionnaire to demonstrate how you meet the job requirements. Please allot approximately 60 minutes to complete the questionnaire.
IMPORTANT: Comprehensive questionnaire responses will be used to shortlist applicants against the job requirements. Please ensure you include all relevant information about your educational accomplishments and employment history including job titles, start and end dates [month and year] of your employment, and your accountabilities and accomplishments.