Licensed Science Officer (Other) 5
An eligibility list may be established.
This position may be performed in one of the following communities based on operational requirements and availability: Cranbrook, Kamloops, Prince George, Smithers, Victoria
It’s your time to Achieve, Excel and Succeed
Mining is a very important part of the provincial economy, with $9 billion worth of mineral production and almost $500 million in mineral taxes generated in 2016/17. As well, exploration, mining and related sectors generate more than 30,000 jobs throughout the province with a substantial amount of employment in rural communities.
The Reclamation Manager is the BC provincial expert in the field of mine reclamation and remediation practices and leads the review and assessment program related to mine reclamation and remediation for all mining projects in the province. The position supervises a team of specialized technical staff and professional contractors to meet legislative requirements and support an environmentally responsible mining industry.
Working for BC Public Service offers a competitive salary, diverse work environment, a healthy work/life balance, and excellent benefits. In addition to the base salary for Professional Employee Association members, there is an allowance to cover professional fees, strong dental and medical plans and much more. Salary listed does not include the additional 7% Overtime Shift Standby (OSS) provision that can be taken as taken as time off or salary on an annual basis which is on top of four (4) weeks annual leave.
The BC Public Service is committed to creating a diverse workplace to represent the population we serve and to better meet the needs of our citizens. Consider joining our team and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
For complete details about this opportunity, including accountabilities, please refer to the attached job profile. For specific position related enquiries, please contact Lowell.Constable@gov.bc.ca. DO NOT SEND YOUR APPLICATION TO THIS EMAIL ADDRESS. For more information about how to complete your job application, add/edit your resume and for more useful tips when applying for jobs, please refer to the Your Job Application page on the MyHR website. If you are still experiencing technical difficulty applying for a competition, please send an e-mail to BCPSA.Hiring.Centre@gov.bc.ca, before the stated closing time, and we will respond as soon as possible to assist you.
NOTE: Applications will be accepted until 11:00 pm Pacific Standard Time on the closing date of the competition.
In order to be considered for this position, your application must clearly demonstrate how you meet the education, experience and professional designation requirement as outlined below:
- Advanced University degree (Masters or PhD) preferably in Environmental Sciences, Forestry, Biology or Agrology; or acceptable combination of education/formal training.
- Must be Registered, or immediately eligible* for registration (within 6 months of employment) with a British Columbia Institute as a Professional Agrologist, Biologist or Forester.
- *Note: Immediately eligible is defined as being registered as a professional in another Canadian jurisdiction or another BC professional association referred to above, and able to transfer that membership to a BC professional association within 6 months of employment. It is the responsibility of the applicant to have their qualifications reviewed by the appropriate body to ensure they have the necessary requirements for registration.
- Considerable experience in Mine Reclamation (minimum of 10 years) with practical, research and management experience in mine reclamation. This experience will include managing aspects of major mining reclamation projects, supervisory experience preferably at a senior level, budgetary planning and development of program-related performance measures and standards.
- Experience managing and leading a diversity of complex projects simultaneously, following accepted project management techniques.
- Experience with issues management, negotiation, and strategic problem solving, and providing leadership, expertise, and advice in the implementation of solutions to industry clients, internal staff, other agencies, senior management and executive.
- Experience developing, contributing to and/or evaluating new policies, procedures, corporate practices, legislation and regulations.
Please include your registration number for your speciality area within your application as you must be registered or immediately eligible for registration as a fully licensed professional with one of the following associations: Association of BC Forest Professionals, BC Institute of Agrologists, or Engineers and Geoscientists BC (Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of the Province of British Columbia). If you are not yet registered with any of these Professional Associations, please explain how you are immediately eligible for registration (i.e. currently a fully licensed registered professional member in good standing in another Canadian jurisdiction and can immediately transfer to the ABCFP, the BCIA or the Engineers and Geoscientists BC).
Applicants selected to move forward in the hiring process may be assessed on the Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Competencies as outlined in the attached Job Profile located in the Additional Information section at the bottom of the posting.
A Criminal Record Check (CRC) will be required.
Cover Letter: YES – A cover letter is required as part of your application. The content and/or format of your cover letter may be evaluated as part of the assessment process.
Resume: YES – Ensure your resume includes your educational accomplishments, employment history including start and end dates (month and year) of your employment, and any relevant information that relates to the job to which you are applying.
Questionnaire: YES – You will be required to answer a standard questionnaire.