Machine Operator R13
STEP into a career with one of BC’s Top Employers since 2009.
The Liquor Distribution Branch is one of Canada’s largest distributors and retailers of beverage alcohol. At the Liquor Distribution Branch we are driven by innovation and have a passion for the future and are looking for a dynamic professional to join our team.
Reporting to a Shipping Supervisor, the Truck Driver [Machine Operator] is responsible for the transport of liquor products, dry goods and recycling material between various types of establishments such as: private liquor retail sites, government liquor stores, government liquor warehouses, dry good suppliers and recycle depots using a company tractor with a pintle hook or fifth wheel. Operating a combination vehicle with one or two articulation points up to 25 meters long (straight truck is only 10.4 meters). May also load and unload trucks with or without helpers. Must recognize and be able to make minor mechanical repairs needed to keep truck in good working order. Complete vehicle circle checks and pre/post inspections on every trip.
Please review the attached job description for a complete list of duties, qualifications and competencies. To be considered for this competition, applicants must submit a cover letter and resume clearly identifying how they meet the qualifications necessary for this position. This information will be used as part of the selection process. In addition to your cover letter and resume, please also attach a driver’s abstract for the past 2 years as of the competition closing date.
Please note that a cover letter is a requirement for this competition.
– Criminal Record Check required.
– The nature of this position will require employee to perform a wide range of physical activities ranging from lifting, pushing and pulling heavy objects (50 – 100 lbs.) to crouching, kneeling, bending and handling. Repetitive finger motions are also required.
Please also note that we have moved our distribution center to 7003 72nd Street, Delta. The successful candidate must be willing to work out of the new location and in a multi-shift facility.
An eligibility list may be established for future temporary or permanent opportunities.
For complete details about this opportunity, including accountabilities, please refer to the attached job profile. For specific position related enquiries, please contact Travis Sprintzios, A/Manager, Wholesale Logistics by phone at 604 252 2782. For more information about how to complete your job application, add/edit your resume and for more useful tips when applying for jobs, please refer to the Your Job Application page on the MyHR website. If you are still experiencing technical difficulty applying for a competition, please send an e-mail to BCPSA.Hiring.Centre@gov.bc.ca , before the stated closing time, and we will respond as soon as possible to assist you.
Only applications submitted using the BC Public Service Recruitment System on this website will be accepted.
NOTE: Applications will be accepted until 11:00 pm Pacific Standard Time on the closing date of the competition.
Visit Careers at: www.bcldb.com
Education, Experience and Occupational Certification
- Minimum of two (2) years experience related to the functions to be performed driving a Class 1 vehicle and completion of a defensive driving course and/or a recognized training program in the driving and operation of commercial type vehicles or heavy equipment OR an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Class 1 BC Drivers License – Clean driver’s abstract for two years from the closing date of the competition.
- Air brakes certification
- Transportation of Dangerous Goods Certificate, preferred.
- WCB approved Forklift Operators License, preferred.
- Experience with power rail gate and electric power jack, preferred.
- Good knowledge of the operation of equipment associated with the position.
- Good working knowledge of the Motor Vehicle Act and Regulations.
- Good working knowledge of safety rules and regulations as they pertain to driving and/or operation of the vehicles, equipment, and machinery involved.
- Excellent knowledge of truck routes in the GVRD.
Skills & Abilities:
- Mechanical and operational aptitude
- Safety conscious
- Ability to adjust quickly and easily to changes in work procedures
- Ability to work under pressure
- Good interpersonal and organizational skills