Classification: Gardener 2
Full-Time Regular Position
The Pas, Manitoba
University College of the North (UCN) is committed to building a workforce that is representative of the populations we serve. Applications are invited from individuals who have a demonstrated interest and ability to work with Aboriginal learners and mature students.
The Position: The incumbent is responsible for maintenance duties within the UCN The Pas campus. Responsible for the day-to-day maintenance, respond to and/or report maintenance requests, perform daily walk-thrus of the building and take appropriate action, manage the allocation and issuance of keys and access cards, and report to supervisor, perform minor maintenance and repairs, respond to emergency calls for assistance when needed and other duties will be assigned as necessary.
- Appropriate combination training and experience as it relates to building operations
- Skills in operating and maintaining small equipment, forklift, lawn tractors, and snow blowers and repairs Ability to perform minor equipment/building repairs
- Ability to work independently Effective communication skills Proficient with small tools
- Knowledge of safe use and application of chemicals for the grounds
- Capable of working in an environment where priorities may change as emergencies occur
- Experience with plumbing and carpentry
- Personal experience and/or knowledge and understanding of the Aboriginal culture
- The ability to speak an Aboriginal language WHIMS Certification
Conditions of Employment:
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and be certified to operate a forklift
- Candidates must be legally entitled to work in Canada
- Must be physically capable of performing the required duties Criminal Records check
- Child Abuse Registry check
Applicants must demonstrate on their resume how they meet the qualifications.
Representative Workforce (formerly employment equity) is a factor in the selection process. Applicants are invited to indicate in their covering letter or résumé if they are from any of the following groups: Aboriginal people, persons with disabilities, visible minorities, or women and men in non-traditional roles. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
Competition Number: 17-030
Closing Date: June, 5, 2017
Salary Range: $19.69 to $22.94 hourly, plus remoteness allowance
Apply to: University College of the North, Attention: Human Resources
P.O. Box 3000
The Pas MB R9A 1M7
Fax: (204) 623-4414
Email: email@example.com (preferred format)
We thank all applicants for their interest, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted
Application materials, including letters of reference, will be handled in accordance with the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Legislation (Manitoba).
For more information and other employment opportunities, visit www.ucn.ca.