Our client, an Indigenous community west of Calgary, is seeking a permanent Public Works Manager to start in the Fall of 2017.
The role of the Public Works Manager is to coordinate and supervise all Public Works staff in the repair and maintenance of municipal infrastructure including the areas of roads, solid waste collection, septic vacuum truck collection and water truck delivery. In addition to those duties the Public Works Manager should anticipate municipal needs in the short, medium and long term and plan, budget and supervise activities in a timely and efficient manner.
This position offers a competitive annual salary, a group benefits package, pension and an attractive vacation package. A monthly travel allowance is provided for any successful candidate living in the surrounding area.
Tasks, duties, and responsibilities:
- Oversee the maintenance and operations’ Public Works infrastructures and assets
- Oversee the efficient and timely delivery of truck water services and waste management services, including scheduling, delivery, pick up, etc.
- Inspects the road systems on an annual basis including roads, traffic signs, culverts, right of way clearing.
- Carries out fleet/ equipment needs assessment and acquisition. Produces and implements preventative maintenance schedules and ensures repairs are completed, including annual Alberta inspection certificate and decal on all applicable vehicles.
- Responsible for the day-to day administration of the approved budget including all purchases within the approved budget. Ensure all expenses are reported.
- Prepare tenders and retain various trades or contractors as needed including clearing of right of ways, gravel hauling and others within the functions of Public Works.
- Act as Public Works’ Health and Safety Officer, to develop and implement Public Works’ Health and Safety plans and programs, as well as training requirements for staff.
- Prepare written bi-weekly reports to Director of Public Works
- Develop, prepare and distribute public communication information packages or pamphlets to the community membership/ public, relating to solid waste collection, transfer station, water deliveries, septic vacuum collection and public roads.
- Responsible for interacting with membership and attending to the needs and or complaints.
- Oversee human resources issues within the Public Works Department, including training plans, Health and Safety and seasonal work plans.
- Responsible to supervise and direct the Public Works’ staff to efficiently and effectively complete their assigned tasks, including maintenance activities such as seasonal plowing, sanding, etc.
- Prepare and ensure accuracy on all Public Works timesheets, strictly follow all requirements of the personnel policy.
- Fully responsible for performance reviews and disciplinary actions to all Public Works’ staff as required.
- Develop Work Plans and training programs for each Public Works’ staff.
- Provide input to the Director of Public Works and Capital Projects for the preparation of annual Public Work’s operational and capital budgets.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in a related public works field in either the public or private sector, with 3 years of supervisory experience in these roles.
- Flexible schedule and agreement to on-call work is a necessity.
- Valid Driver’s license and clean Driver’s abstract.
- Firm knowledge of heavy equipment and machinery.
- Basic working knowledge of specified occupational safety and health regulations.
- Computer competency in the Microsoft Office suite of products, spreadsheets, and web based GPS, and email including reporting and documentations preparations.
- First Nations experience an asset.
Closing Date: This position will remain open until a suitable candidate is hired.