Please Note: The Salary/Rate reflects the 2016 rates
Development Engineering provides a ‘one-window’ service to Community Planning and the development industry on behalf of the City’s various Operating Divisions – Fire Services; Solid Waste Management; Toronto Water and Transportation Services. The Unit plays a key role in the review and approval of the municipal engineering aspects of development applications. Each development application is assigned to a staff member that is responsible for the application from submission to approval and through to the assumption of any development-related infrastructure. Staff also plays a key role in the preparation of necessary agreements to secure the construction of development-related municipal infrastructure in particular Subdivision Agreements and Municipal Infrastructure Agreements.
Reporting to the Director of Engineering Review, the Manager of Development Engineering will be responsible for the day-to-day management of the Development Engineering District Unit. This includes providing final sign-off on all comments and conditions on development applications; providing final sign-off on legal and cost sharing agreements associated with municipal infrastructure required as a condition of a development approval; providing direction to staff; and resolving application specific issues that arise. The Manager is also required to attend and represent the Development Engineering Unit at all Community Council meetings.
- Directs and manages service delivery of the unit’s assigned program of projects through delegation of authority and responsibility to direct reports
- Manages and is accountable for the operations of the unit
- Sets and manages organizational performance and quality standards and expectations ensuring that assigned program/projects conform with divisional, cluster and corporate standards
- Leads, manages, supports, develops and motivates subordinates
- Sets and manages performance expectations for direct reports
- Ensures effective teamwork, high standards of work quality, organizational performance, continuous learning and encourages innovation and efficient use of human, financial and physical resources in others
- Implements succession management plans to ensure continuous development of staff and organizational preparedness
- Enhances, promotes and implements the Division’s vision, strategic plan and other change initiatives through: leadership, participation, communication and application of functional policy
- Standardizes, implements and measures operational improvements to processes and systems
- Develops and manages client and stakeholder expectations and relationships through effective service agreements, communication, appropriate delegation of representation and monitoring of commitments and obligations
- Maintains appropriate confidentiality related to client and stakeholder business knowledge and proposals
- Participates in the preparation of and manages the annual budget for the unit ensuring that expenditures are controlled and maintained within approved budget limitations
- Prepares, reviews, and enforces legal and cost sharing agreements with clients, stakeholders and external agencies/partners
- Collects appropriate cost recovery fees for service from clients
- Administers securities in accordance with approved policy, procedures, by laws and statutes
- Represents the Division/Cluster/Corporation at a variety of meetings with the public, clients and stakeholders including Community Councils, court proceedings, etc.
- Accountable for the delivery of Engineering Review services ensuring cost effective case management that meets or exceeds agreed to service standards
- Accountable for quality assurance and oversight over construction contracts and third party construction activities
- A Professional Engineering licence and membership in good standing with Professional Engineers Ontario.
- Extensive experience in managing, developing, attracting, motivating, and leading a diverse workforce and establishing and operating in an environment that promotes excellence.
- Extensive experience as a supervisor and/or manager in a Professional Engineering capacity.
- Considerable experience with financial reporting processes, including budget preparation and control, expenditure forecasting, preparation and interpretation of financial reports, and reporting on key performance indicators.
- Experience in reviewing and approving development applications (i.e. Official Plan Amendments, Zoning By-law Amendments, Site Plan Controls, Plans of Subdivisions and Consents.)
- Ability to plan, organize, co-ordinate, and assign work to others in the unit.
- Strong leadership, conflict resolution and decision-making skills in the field of municipal engineering and development review.
- Well-developed interpersonal, human relations, communication (written and oral), negotiation, conflict resolution, project management, analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to promote and foster teamwork within the unit and as a member of the management team.
- Ability to effectively represent the Division, collaborate and work successfully with colleagues, provincial officials, consultants, developers, builders, solicitors, and other internal and external stakeholders.
- Knowledge of City policies and legislation including the Planning Act and the Occupational Health and Safety Act.
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set-up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto’s Accommodation Policy, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the City’s hiring process.
If you are invited to participate in an assessment process, kindly provide your accommodation needs in advance. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, quoting the job ID # and the job classification title.