- Bring your legal experience and Indigenous ancestry to this pivotal role!
- Pursuant to special program approval granted by the British Columbia Human Rights Tribunal, this role is only open to persons of Indigenous ancestry.
- Enjoy a competitive annual salary plus a comprehensive benefits package!
- Great opportunity to shape the direction of services that make a REAL difference in the lives of Indigenous people and communities in BC!
About the Organization
Since 1979, The Legal Services Society (LSS) has been the provider of legal aid in British Columbia. As a non-profit organization, our goal is to provide legal information, advice, and representation services to some of BC’s most vulnerable and marginalized citizens: those who do not have the financial, educational, social or health resources to effectively access the justice system when their families, freedom, or safety are at risk. That being said, many of our services are available to all British Columbians and our scope of work ranges from family law, child protection, immigration, and criminal law.
Our mandate is to:
- Help people to solve their legal problems and to facilitate access to justice
- Establish and administer an effective and efficient system for providing legal aid to people in BC
- Provide advice to the Attorney General about legal aid and access to justice for people in BC
The LSS is funded by the provincial government, with additional support from the Law Foundation of BC and the Notary Foundation of BC. We’re accountable to the public and remain independent of government. Please visit our website to find out more about the Legal Services Society.
About the Opportunity
The LSS currently has an exciting opportunity for a Manager, Indigenous Services to join their team in Vancouver, BC.
Reporting to the Director, Public Legal Information and Applications, this pivotal role is responsible for programs and services designed for Indigenous (Aboriginal, First Nations, Inuit, and Métis) persons and communities in British Columbia.
Pursuant to special program approval granted by the British Columbia Human Rights Tribunal, this role is only open to persons of Indigenous ancestry. The successful candidate must be a practicing lawyer in BC with a minimum of 6 years of experience working within the Indigenous community. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
The LSS is seeking a candidate who is comfortable working in a non-profit setting, and also working both individually and as part of a team. You will have considerable freedom to allocate part of your budget to projects or services that fit with the priorities and needs of Indigenous people in the province and see the impact of your work.
You will be successful in this role if you have the ability to communicate with and relate to internal and external stakeholders, and also build relationships with Indigenous leaders and community organizations with sensitivity to cultural and Tribal/Nation differences.
About the Salary & Benefits
This is a fantastic opportunity to use your legal experience to make a difference in the lives of Indigenous people in BC. In return for your hard work and dedication, you will be rewarded with a competitive annual salary of $97,469-$130,725 based on your skills and experience and a comprehensive benefits including:
- Four weeks paid vacation to start that grows the longer you’re with LSS
- An excellent employee benefits package, where premiums are 100% paid by LSS
- A generous pension plan
- Support for training and development
- An employee and family assistance counseling program
- $300 a year towards Employee Wellness programs
- A healthy work/life balance
- Generous leave provisions (sick time, special leaves)
- 13 paid statutory holidays
You will also be welcomed as an integral part of a friendly and collaborative team and have the opportunity to represent the team of LSS as a whole. If you’re interested in making a real difference – Apply Now!
For full details and to apply please visit http://jobs.applyfirst.ca/jobs/83961