Manager of Health and Social Services, Alderville First Nation
For the full job description please click here
Purpose of the position:
Under the direct supervision of the First Nation Administrator, the Manager of Health and Social Services is responsible for the general management of all matters pertaining to the health and social services programs and departments including overall financial management. You will provide leadership, supervision and direction to the health and social services staff, maintaining complete confidentiality in recognition of the privacy entitlements of all members of the community. You will also provide direction for planning, organizing, and coordination of all health and social services activities, programs and services. This position requires you to liaise with various levels of government as deemed appropriate in upholding the overall goals and objectives. Finally, the Manager of Health and Social Services will promote and encourage community awareness and participation in local Health and Social Services Programs.
- University degree is preferred in a Health Sciences, Business Administration or Human Resources related field or a combination of an undergraduate degree/college diploma with significant management experience in a related field;
- Five (5) years’ progressive management responsibility with demonstrated ability to provide flexible and competent leadership and supervision for a multi-disciplinary team approach to health services and program delivery of health administration in the community.
- Commitment to and understanding of community involvement in the development and implementation of programs and services.
- Solid knowledge base and proficiency in program and service development and administration, delivery and evaluation.
- Ability to handle multiple responsibilities in a flexible and calm manner.
- Excellent computer skills for reporting and presentation purposes
- Must have valid class ‘G’ Ontario Driver’s License and access to reliable transportation.
- Criminal Reference check and Vulnerable Sector Search is required if employment is offered at own cost.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Knowledge and application of human resource management
- Knowledge of the history and dynamics of Alderville First Nation an asset
- Excellent oral and written communication skills as well as interpersonal and leadership skills
- Proven ability to network effectively and productively with the community, community organizations and agencies, health board, government and other agencies outside the community Knowledge and application of financial management
- Knowledge of health program planning and prioritizing methods
Planning and Advisory Services
- Provide leadership, supervision and direction to fulltime staff and occasional contract staff;
- Initiate Health and Social Services Team meetings;
- Encourage growth of existing programs and services;
- Perform administrative functions that ensure personnel policy is being followed and that an appropriate filing system is set up.
- Consult with Chief & Council regarding discussions on annual budgets, planning and the overall operation of the Health and Social Services division;
- Research and recommend sources of funding for Health and Social Service programs;
- Liaise with Health Canada, First Nations & Inuit Health Branch and other local, provincial and federal agencies in order to utilize the present health delivery system and maintain a mutual awareness of needs, problems and policies.
- Assisting in the preparation of financial budgets and forecasts for fiscal year funding in each program area
Hours of work:
35 Hours per week – normal operating hours are:
Monday to Thursday – 8:15 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Friday – 8:15 a.m. – 1:15 p.m.
*Must be available to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends for on-call purposes to address pressing urgent issues.
- Persons of Aboriginal ancestry are encouraged to apply and identify themselves in their cover letter
- Salary to be based on qualifications – skill, ability and related work experience
Deadline to Apply: February 15th, 2018 – 12:00pm
How to apply:
Submissions MUST include a cover letter, resume, salary expectations along with three work-related references and/or letters of reference.
- E-mail to: email@example.com
- Fax to: (905) 352-3242, or
- Applications can be delivered to the reception area of the Alderville First Nation main office at:
Alderville First Nation, 11696 Second Line Road, P.O. Box 46, Roseneath, Ontario KOK 2XO
Attention: Melissa Levesque
RE: Manager Health & Social Services Position
Contact Joanne Smoke or Melissa Levesque for more info and job description at (905) 352-2011.
We thank all who apply however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Chief and Council retain the right to make the final decision on the selection of the successful candidate.