Reporting to the Manager, Forestry Operations, the Operations Support Officer will assist with a variety of functions for the Urban Forestry Branch. The primary functions associated with this position include, but are not limited to:
- Creates, manages and monitors purchasing activities such as processing payments, account reconciliation, monitoring contract values, etc.…
- Provides detailed expenditure reports
- Maintains statistics and analyzes monthly operating budget variance, completes forecasting and detailed cost projections
- Reconciles various financial documents to ensure accuracy and prepares journal entries as required
- Assists with the development of RFQs and RFPs and completes associated reports and briefing notes
- Operates computers utilizing and manipulating a variety of software packages
- Extracts large amounts of data from corporate systems and prepares/maintains complex spreadsheets for detailed analysis and management decision making
- Assists in the development, maintenance and implementation of policies and procedures and effectively communicates changes
- Co-ordinates special projects/assignments and prepares strategies, work plans, reports, and presentations
- Ensures timely and effective production of required financial and statistical reports and prepares ad hoc reports when required
- Establishes effective working relationships with staff, internal and external clients
- Provides technical and educational training and professional development requirements to staff
- Ensures compliance with by-laws, policies and procedures
Your application must describe your qualifications as they relate to:
- Post-secondary education in a discipline pertinent to the job function and/or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Considerable experience gained through progressively more responsible assignments in project management, co-ordination and general proficiency in a range of technical and operational issues facing the division.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to communicate clearly and effectively to a variety of audiences.
- Extensive experience in formatting complex reports including reviewing, compiling, analyzing and reporting
- A thorough knowledge of current administrative procedures related to the accounting function and clerical, administrative experience in processing various accounting documents such as accounts receivable and payable
- Proficiency and extensive experience in the use of current office and workplace technology and other computer applications relevant to the position, such as excel, SAP, power point, e-mail (Outlook)
- Experience with contract administration including preparation of RFQ’s, reviewing bid evaluations and preparation of contract award documentation for Bid Committee
- Experience with the City’s Financial Reporting policies and procedures (i.e. variance reporting and accruals)
- Extensive administrative/clerical experience at a senior level with the demonstrated ability to multitask and effectively carry out the various duties and responsibilities of this position, with minimal direction
You must also have:
- Good knowledge of corporate, divisional regulations and relevant policies (specific to Forestry), procedures and guidelines as they relate to actual job duties
- Knowledge of the City of Toronto Purchasing policies and procedures
- Ability to prepare detailed reports
- Understanding of the wide range of Parks, Forestry and Recreation core functions, services and current issues facing the division
- Working knowledge of health and safety, human rights and labour relations legislation, corporate standards, policies and practice
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with all levels of staff and external contacts
- Ability to work flexible hours and under time constraints to meet deadlines
- Ability to work independently and cooperatively with multi-disciplinary groups and others in a team environment
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set-up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto’s Accommodation Policy, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the City’s hiring process.
If you are invited to participate in an assessment process, kindly provide your accommodation needs in advance. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process, please email us at (INSERT HR generic email address), quoting the job ID # and the job classification title.