Please note: The salary/rate reflects 2016 rates.
As a People Services Consultant, you will lead and support the development and delivery of Human Resources best practices within the Division. Specific areas of focus include complement management, recruitment, training & development, strategic HR planning, employee and labour relations support, succession planning and talent management.
- Provides leadership in the effective use of consulting concepts, models, analytic frameworks, technologies and tools
- Develops functions in collaboration with the City’s human resources unit including recruitment, labour relations, organizational change, complement management, training, succession planning
- Coordinates strategic direction on the analysis of human resources issues, short and long term planning, and the development of related policies and procedures
- Ensures the systematic and timely gathering, aggregation, and analysis of labour market intelligence on a diverse range of staffing requirements for current and future implications to serve as a basis for resource strategy options and plans
- Develops innovative ways to support the Units within Solid Waste Management Services (SWMS) to meet resource capacity requirements that attracts and retains the best professionals and talent with the right skills, experiences, and competencies in the right jobs at the right time
- Provides strategic advice and recommendations on management and staff development and training plans that comprehend appropriate fiscal, human and physical resources required to effect training delivery support
- Develops and implements a process to strategize with stakeholders in the development, planning and forecasting of workforce needs for current, short and long term needs
- Provides a research and analysis capability to initiate and respond to requests for special projects, analysis, studies, briefing notes, and reports
- Develops and implements communication strategies, designs, customizes and delivers staff development programs
- Provides a full range of organization development, consultation and facilitation services to support training and organizational development initiatives
- Ensures that corporate policy and SWMS Division principles are reflected in training and organization development strategies and programs
- Develops and maintains contact with other organization development professionals and is familiar with current theory and practice in the field
- Identifies development needs and trends in the organization, recommends and implements a variety of programs and initiatives
- Liaises with a variety of colleagues and clients to identify needs and conduct gap analysis
- Assists in the design, re-engineering and facilitation of policies, procedures and processes to support high quality service, continuous improvement and service equity
- Develops and implements detailed plans and recommends policies regarding program specific requirements
- Coordinates assigned projects, ensuring effective teamwork and communication, high standards of work quality and organizational performance and continuous learning
- Conducts research into assigned area ensuring that such research takes into account developments within the field, corporate policies and practices, legislation and initiatives by other levels of government
- Ensures that the project expenditures are controlled and maintained within approved budget limitations
- Post-secondary education in a discipline pertinent to the position combined with relevant professional experience and affiliations, or equivalent combination of education and experience. A Certified Human Resources Professional (CHRP) designation would be an asset.
- Considerable experience in designing, developing and implementing human resources strategies/services related to training, retention and recruitment, organizational development and human resources planning and management, strategic HR planning, and labour relations.
- Experience in preparing comprehensive reports, management correspondence and developing presentation materials on various topics, utilizing a variety of software such as Microsoft Office Suite.
- Considerable experience in providing consultation in training and development programs.
- Experienced project manager – from inception/development to execution and evaluation managing short and long-term projects/assignments.
- General knowledge of human resources and related legislation, including Employment Standards Act and Human Rights Code. Familiarity with applicable collective agreements and human resources policies and procedures.
- Ability to work at all levels of the organization in assessing organizational needs and requirements and in developing overall training needs and/or development programs, human relations skills and the ability to handle matters of a confidential/sensitive nature as it relates to management and unionized employees.
- Highly developed business writing skills, conflict management skills, critical thinking, judgement and political expertise to facilitate consensus and persuade/negotiate with a variety of stakeholders.
- Ability to lead work groups, foster effective team work and provide a high level of client service.
- Comprehensive knowledge of organizational effectiveness, employment equity, and workforce planning principles and practices.
- Demonstrated competencies that include highly developed human relations, communications, negotiation, analytical and conflict resolution skills.
- Strong organizational and research skills with the ability to coordinate and manage short and long-term projects/assignments through to completion.
- Ability to utilize SAP inquiry functionality and for complement management purposes.
- Must be familiar with government legislation in the area of occupational health & safety.
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set-up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto’s Accommodation Policy, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the City’s hiring process.
If you are invited to participate in an assessment process, kindly provide your accommodation needs in advance. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.