Senior Planning Analyst
Planning Officer R27
An eligibility list may be established.
If this position interests you and you meet the required criteria, we look forward to your application
The Governance and Structure Branch supports development of the local government system in B.C. through problem solving, advice and influence on fundamental governance legal frameworks, procedures and processes, organization and operation of local governments, and facilitation of effective relations between local and First Nations governments. This is done by developing strategic partnerships, resolving complex and often unprecedented problems, providing expert advice and exercising influence. Working in a matrix management environment, the Senior Planning Analyst reports to the Director of Governance Structures.
This position serves as a senior policy analyst, advisor, and researcher in support of a broad range of policy and legislative matters related to the system of local government, assists with dispute resolution, undertakes capacity building, undertakes complex problem solving, provides expert advice, and collaborates with other programs in the Division, other ministries and stakeholders. The position manages assigned restructure projects, leading to local decisions made by the voters or local government, and Provincial decisions made by Minister or Cabinet. The position undertakes significant policy or program projects on other aspects of the broad-ranging area of local and regional governance.
The BC Public Service is an award winning employer and offers employees competitive benefits, amazing learning opportunities and a chance to engage in rewarding work with exciting career development opportunities. For more information, please see What We Offer.
The BC Public Service is committed to creating a diverse workplace to represent the population we serve and to better meet the needs of our citizens. Consider joining our team and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
The BC Public Service is an inclusive and accessible employer. Please advise the hiring manager if any accommodations are required to assist you to ensure equitable participation.
For complete details about this opportunity, including accountabilities, please refer to the attached job profile. For specific position related enquiries, please contact Amanda.Draffin@gov.bc.ca. DO NOT SEND YOUR APPLICATION TO THIS EMAIL ADDRESS. For more information about how to complete your job application, add/edit your resume and for more useful tips when applying for jobs, please refer to the Your Job Application page on the MyHR website. If you are still experiencing technical difficulty applying for a competition, please send an e-mail to BCPSA.Hiring.Centre@gov.bc.ca, before the stated closing time, and we will respond as soon as possible to assist you.
NOTE: Applications will be accepted until 11:00 pm Pacific Standard Time on the closing date of the competition.
In order to be considered for this position, your application must clearly demonstrate how you meet the education and experience as outlined below:
- Master’s degree in planning or related program (Geography, Environmental, Public Administration, Land Use Planning, Forestry, Biology), and 3 years’ related experience OR
- Bachelor’s degree in planning or related program (Geography, Environmental, Public Administration, Land Use Planning, Forestry, Biology), and 5 years’ related experience.
- An equivalent combination of education or experience may be considered.
- Related work experience may include the following, related to local government and inter-governmental relations:
- local governance (services, structures and relationships);
- land use planning;
- administration and preparation of bylaws;
- research and policy analysis and issues management;
- preparation of reports and information materials;
- public consultation processes;
- presentations at public meetings.
- Related education includes post-secondary coursework towards a specialist certificate, diploma, or degree in a related discipline with an emphasis on local government.
- Preference may be given to applicants with the following:
- At least 4 years of related work experience
- Work experience with municipalities and regional districts in the BC.
Applicants selected to move forward in the hiring process may be assessed on the Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Competencies as outlined in the attached Job Profile located in the Additional Information section at the bottom of the posting.
A Criminal Record Check (CRC) will be required.
Cover Letter: YES – A cover letter is required as part of your application. The content and/or format of your cover letter may be evaluated as part of the assessment process.
Resume: YES – Ensure your resume includes your educational accomplishments, employment history including start and end dates (month and year) of your employment, and any relevant information that relates to the job to which you are applying.
Questionnaire: YES – You will be required to answer a standard questionnaire.