- Alberta NationTalk
- Ontario NationTalk
- Manitoba NationTalk
- Quebec NationTalk
- British Columbia NationTalk
- Atlantic NationTalk
- North of 60 NationTalk
- Saskatchewan NationTalk
- Sand Box Site
Program Administrator, Co-operative Education
Posting ID : 8499
Apply By : 11/14/2017
Position Title : Program Administrator, Co-operative Education
Department : Co-operative Education
Job Type : Full-time, Limited Term
Campus : Brantford
Reports To : Manager, Co-operative Education, Brantford Campus
Position Summary :
At Laurier, we are a community. It’s what brings our students here and what keeps our people here.
As an educational institution, we inspire lives of leadership and purpose in our student community. As an employer, we seek, foster and value the same qualities of leadership and purpose in our employee community.
We currently have an opportunity to join the Laurier community as a Program Administrator, Co-operative Education.
Beginning in September 2011, the Brantford Campus introduced its first co-op program with the Honours Bachelor of Business Technology Management (BBTM).
Co-operative Education, a form of work-integrated learning, is a model of education that integrates and alternates a student’s academic terms with paid and productive full-time work terms relevant to the student’s academic and professional goals. Each work term is approved by the department in collaboration with the employer. The co-op curriculum supports learning goals, personal evaluation and reflection. Student performance during work terms is supervised and evaluated by the employer, and monitored by the university. The time spent on work terms is at least thirty per cent of the time spent in academic study for university four-year programs and is scheduled in different terms of the year.
The department works in partnership with co-op students and employers for success in the work place. We contribute to the educational, professional and personal growth of co-op students by helping them to explore career options, develop job search and employment skills and secure rewarding work term opportunities. We support students as they define learning objectives and reflect on their learning and development. We market our programs to employers, respond to their recruiting needs, coordinate the hiring process and monitor student performance during work terms. We collaborate as a team to provide friendly and proactive service.
This position has a university-wide mandate and is based at the Brantford Campus. The incumbent provides subject matter expertise to all campuses, requiring regular interpersonal interactions and collaboration with departments at the Waterloo Campus, the Brantford Campus, the Toronto office and external partners. Special attention is given to ensure equitable service delivery across all locations. There will be an expectation to travel to the Co-op office at the Waterloo Campus to provide support at various points in the annual recruiting cycle.
The Program Administrator, Co-operative Education, Brantford Campus is responsible for providing front-line operations related to the employment process, assisting with student development workshops, editing student resumes/cover letters and supporting the Manager, Co-operative Education, Brantford Campus.
The Program Administrator responds to a high volume of inquiries and requests from students, employers and staff, in a department where more than 2,300 students are enrolled annually and the employer database includes approximately 8,460 employers and 11,000 contacts.
This position is results-driven with a mandate for customer service excellence. All staff members work to an objective of 100% employment of students each term in quality positions while meeting the needs of valued employers.
Accountabilities : Provide Support to Students
- Assists with workshops on student development topics such as co-op fundamentals, speaker series events and co-op information system training.
- Reviews and edits student resumes and cover letters and meets with students to provide feedback if necessary.
- Coordinates mock interview process including scheduling interviews, setting up equipment and answering interviewer questions. Includes recruiting, training, and supervising students and recruiting Employer volunteers.
- Advises high school students, parents and Laurier students of the BTM program.
- Advises co-op students of the job application process, including access to our online system for job postings and interviews, and instructions on updating personal information and uploading resumes and cover letters.
- Coordinates work permit application process for international students admitted to co-op.
Provide Support to Employers
- Consults with employers before entering job postings on our computer system (determines application deadlines, briefing and testing sessions and recruiting sessions). Helps prepare high volume of job postings under tight timelines, with guidance of the Manager of Frontline Operations at the Waterloo campus.
- Assists with coordinating student job application packages online. Consults with employers before scheduling interviews according to their requests. Under the guidance of the Manager of Frontline Operations at the Waterloo campus, prepares individual interviews (and often revises) a high volume of complex and conflicting schedules under tight timelines while balancing availability of interview facilities, requiring the incumbent to work with students and employers to resolve conflicts.
- Advises employers about our online system, instructing them how to access and review and enter data, select interview candidates, view interview schedules and submit rankings of candidates.
- Coordinates food services requirements for on campus interviews and receptions, audio visual and room bookings for workshops and the physical set-up of on-campus interview facilities during employer interviews.
- Tracks and verifies departmental budget transactions. Monitors and orders office supplies and processes purchase requisitions.
- Updates program website information.
- Coordinates administrative processes for awarding academic credit for co-op such as ensuring accurate student registration, collection of assessment material and entry of course results. Works collaboratively with faculty, staff from the Registrar’s Office and the Business Office and others associated with this process.
- Tracks data independently for student admissions, enrolment and attrition, and employer recruiting and employment, on a weekly and monthly basis and generates accurate analytical reports. Maintains department files. Processes co-op surveys following new-student orientation and work terms.
- Coordinates administrative requirements of co-op orientation program including updating information packages
- Assists with materials, logistics and online resources and functionality for workshops, seminars and industry events throughout the year.
- Assists in administrative functions related to developing marketing and communication materials.
- Prepares correspondence and schedules appointments for manager
- Responds to general enquiries by phone and in person as part of reception duties for the department.
- Ad hoc projects as required.
- Post-secondary degree and minimum two years of recent administrative support work experience and customer service, preferably in a work environment related to student service, human resources or employment assistance.
- Excellent communication, customer service and interpersonal skills
- Proven ability to deliver solid presentations
- Strong writing and editing skills; experience with editing resumes and cover letters.
- Strong computer skills with proficiency in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, web site development and financial systems
- Experience working effectively in a team environment
- Organization and time management skills with the ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks
- Ability to work independently and take initiative as appropriate.
Grade : BR-F
Salary : $29.32 to $36.65 per hour
Salary Notes : This is a full-time, limited term position up to the duration of 4 months from December 11, 2017 to March 29, 2018.
Please Note : Please submit a cover letter and resume.
Wilfrid Laurier University endeavors to fill positions with the best available candidates who have the appropriate combination of education, experience, skills and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position while demonstrating Laurier’s Employee Success Factors.
Wilfrid Laurier University is committed to equity and values diversity. We welcome applications from qualified individuals of all genders and sexual orientations, persons with disabilities, Indigenous persons and persons of a visible minority. To obtain a copy of this job description in an accessible format, please contact Human Resources at 519-884-1970 ext.2007.
This article comes from NationTalk:
The permalink for this story is: