The salary/rate reflects 2016 rates
Reporting to the Manager – Traffic Safety Unit, the Project Lead will provide support as well as work independently to manage projects, activities and assignments in the delivery of the Traffic Management Centre(TMC), Road Safety Plan (RSP) and other safety related programs.
- Implements detailed plans and recommends policies/procedures regarding program specific requirements related to the RSP.
- Conducts traffic safety research into assigned area ensuring that such research takes into account developments within the field, corporate policies and practices, legislation and initiatives by other levels of government.
- Coordinates input into the Capital Works Program and operating budget. Administers the assigned budget, ensuring that expenditures are controlled and maintained within approved budget limitations.
- Develops, implements, monitors and evaluates programs and projects related to the Traffic Management Centre (TMC).
- Provides advice, guidance and technical assistance to District Traffic Operations relating to TMC’s initiatives.
- Facilitates requests originating from elected officials and the public, coordinates divisional input and assesses project feasibility within current programs.
- Prepares, coordinates and makes recommendations on RFP’s, RFQ’s and tender documents for implementation of projects.
- Oversees assigned projects and provides contract management to ensure effective teamwork and communication and high standards of work quality to advance the TMC’s initiatives in a complex municipal environment.
- Monitors projects with the help of other City divisions to ensure completion in accordance with approved plans, agreements of undertaking and long term maintenance.
- Prepares project plans, reports and status updates for senior staff.
- Updates documentation on TMC’s Road Safety Plan initiatives including the Internet and Intranet websites.
- Establishes, maintains and develops linkages to other divisions, agencies, boards and commissions to ensure effective partnerships.
- Leads multi-disciplinary divisional project teams on TMC’s RSP projects.
- Supervises project team members and support staff, including work term students.
- Prepares responses, reports and correspondence on behalf of the Manager.
- Participates in the process of planning and developing long range objectives for the Unit.
- Provides membership and input to various committees and relevant professional and industry organizations.
- Develops training course material, conducts training and provides presentations as required for various levels of internal and external management/stakeholders.
- Represents the Manager at project related community consultation meeting as required.
- Acts as resource person for inquiries on Traffic Management Centre RSP and Traffic Safety Unit activities.
- Prepares reports and submissions for the information of the Division and City Council.
- Develops Terms of Reference and contract documents for consultant/contractor assignments.
- Develops training programs for staff as required.
- Co-ordinates and evaluates the work performance of external service providers with respect to quality, timeliness, cost and completion of required tasks.
- Fosters and maintains effective working relationships and networking between traffic operations staff, police, other government agencies, community representatives, elected officials, consultants, other departments and intra-departmental divisions through consultation, resolution of conflicts, participation in public meetings, and representation on technical traffic working groups
- Post-secondary education in Transportation Engineering, or a discipline pertinent to the job function or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Experience managing projects associated with transportation infrastructure, systems, and/or services.
- Experience in conducting research, analysis, interpreting and communicating findings.
- Experience utilizing a variety of computerized office systems including, MS Office (i.e. Word, Excel, and PowerPoint). MS-Project. MS-Visio.
- Experience providing effective work direction to contractors.
- Experience as an accountable project leader handling multiple priorities in a detail and deadline-oriented environment.
- Valid Ontario Class “G” driver’s license, and daily access to a reliable personal vehicle for use on City business.
- Effective oral and written communication skills including excellent report writing and presentation skills.
- Excellent conflict resolution skills. Proven track record of solid internal and external relationships and strong leadership capacity.
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team.
- Ability to identify needs, and initiate, coordinate and manage the implementation of creative solutions.
- Knowledge of Ontario Statutes, including Occupational Health and Safety Act and Regulations, the Ontario Highway Traffic Act, Collective Agreements and related Labour legislation.
- Knowledge in traffic operations, related to signal operations or other Intelligent Transportation System (ITS) operations is an asset.
- Knowledge of Oracle and Access database analytics, and mapping/visualization tools such as ArcGIS, QGIS, would be an asset
- Certification as a PMP, P.Eng. or CET is considered an asset.
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set-up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto’s Accommodation Policy, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the City’s hiring process.
If you are invited to participate in an assessment process, kindly provide your accommodation needs in advance. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process, please email us at email@example.com, quoting the job ID #2262694 and the job classification title.