To ensure effective management of major construction, renovation, and rehabilitation programs of assigned buildings and construction projects. To manage and direct a multidisciplinary team to provide design, construction and asset preservation services to City Departments, Agencies, Boards and Commissions.
Reports To: Manager, Capital Construction Projects (TM0892)
Supervises: Various unionized jobs
- Develops and implements detailed plans and recommends policies regarding program specific requirements.
- Manages assigned projects, ensuring effective teamwork and communication, high standards of work quality and organizational performance and continuous learning.
- Conducts research into assigned area ensuring that such research takes into account developments within the field, corporate policies and practices, legislation and initiatives by other levels of government.
- Ensures that the project expenditures are controlled and maintained within approved budget limitations.
- Manages a team of staff, contractors and consultants to effectively implement construction projects, major renovations, rehabilitation and alterations.
- Identifies the present physical conditions and maintenance deficiencies as a basis for future capital budgets at City owned buildings.
- Reviews assessments conducted with client groups in order to ensure that capital requirements are addressed accordingly during the budget cycle.
- Establishes and maintains a portfolio of information to support management information systems (i.e. cost control sheets)
- Schedules building inspections, and prioritizes the projects.
- Co-ordinates all documentation, including all correspondence from architects, engineers, building inspectors, contractors and sub-contractors.
- Inspects and supervises work in progress by contractors and department staff ensuring that all work is executed in accordance with relevant legislation and approved project drawings and specifications.
- Develops, prepares and monitors schedules, graphs and maintains accurate records of development and budget on all assigned projects.
- Secures approvals from various regulating and government agencies to enable projects to proceed (i.e. site plan approvals, re-zoning and Committee of Adjustment applications, permits etc.).
- Develops technical and design policies.
- Provides advice, guidance and technical assistance in the development of construction and renovation programs and on building management, such as preventative maintenance and energy conservation.
- Prepares pre-qualification documents to ensure that qualified bidders are obtained to meet the Corporation’s accepted standards for specialized project.
- Prepares contract documents for tender.
- Prepares reports, attends Council, committee and community meetings.
- Provides value engineering for project development.
- Evaluates tender documents and consultant proposals and makes recommendations for Council approval.
- Assists in the resolution of delay claims and disputes that may arise through the execution of construction activities in the event of disputes and litigation.
- Monitors all construction projects as it relates to Health and Safety regulations and maintains records on infractions and accidents in the event of litigation.
- Represents the Corporation in external negotiations and assists with giving evidence in any legal proceedings.
- Monitors the conditions of constructed assets to ensure that repairs and rehabilitation takes place in a timely and economic fashion to maximize the life span of the asset.
- Represents the department on various technical committees including staff and citizen groups.
- Prepares detailed and timely reports, records, schedules, monthly status reports, initiates correction of deficiencies, warranty items as required by the Manager.
- Acts as liaison and maintains a close and effective working relationship between contractors, consultants, suppliers and building inspectors with respect to all site construction and warranty periods.
- Ensures a positive working relationship with area municipalities and other Government bodies to ensure coordinated construction.
- Provides estimating services for commercial, industrial and recreational facilities including establishment of project budgets.
- University degree in architecture, engineering, or the equivalent combination of education and extensive relevant work experience required.
- Project Manager Professional (PMP) and Project Management Institute (PMI) certifications/designation are considered a strong asset.
- Considerable project management experience in facility planning and construction management in office and field environments as well as on-site experience in the management of new construction and the renovation of existing assets. Transportation or Rail Station experience is desirable.
- Strong administrative and budgetary skills involving both capital and operating budgets.
- A history of successful experience in asset management, portfolio planning, capital planning and project management, in a large organization.
- Proven experience with construction management practices, planning and scheduling, budgeting and estimating, cost control and accounting, quality control and reporting, with the proven ability to manage consultants and contractors.
- Experience and knowledge in all aspects of building condition assessments, financial analysis, and property management.
- A thorough knowledge of construction, techniques, materials, life cycle costing, various codes, principles and practices related to building construction.
- Highly developed conflict resolution and problem solving skills.
- Skill in reading and interpreting construction drawings, specifications and building codes to assess adherence to operational and departmental standards, and demonstrated ability to interpret these documents for consultations with occasional users, including Executives and other personnel in Facilities & Real Estate, and other City of Toronto departments.
- Skilled with computer applications, including Microsoft Excel, Word, and Project scheduling software. Experience with City of Toronto SAP financial and other computer software is desirable.
- Dependability, self-motivation, demonstrated initiative, tact and sound judgment as well as a mature approach in conflict and pressure situations.
- Ability to monitor the work of others, identify problems and develop solutions, communicate effectively in English, both orally and in writing, and establish effective working relationships.
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set-up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto’s Accommodation Policy
, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the City’s hiring process. If you are invited to participate in an assessment process, kindly provide your accommodation needs in advance. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.