- Alberta NationTalk
- Ontario NationTalk
- British Columbia NationTalk
- Atlantic NationTalk
- North of 60 NationTalk
- Manitoba NationTalk
- Quebec NationTalk
- Saskatchewan NationTalk
- Sand Box Site
Protection and Control Officer (E)
Protection and Control Officer (E)
Date: Jun 29, 2020
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
Company: Hydro One Networks Inc
37543 – Toronto – Regular –
Hydro One is proud to be the largest electricity transmission and distribution provider in Ontario, serving nearly 1.4 million customers. We have a long history in the industry with our roots dating back over 110 years to 1906. Since then, we have worked to grow and evolve to meet the changing needs of our customers and communities across Ontario. Today, we’re focused on providing exceptional customer service and ensuring we are building safe communities where we live, work and play.
It’s an exciting time to join the team at Hydro One!
- Reporting to a Manager within the Protection & Control (P&C) Engineering Department of Transmission Engineering Division to provide P&C Engineering services associated with the power system and ancillary systems with primary focus in the areas of design and application for all power system elements and voltage levels of the transmission system and substations:
- Provide advice and guidance to field and Head Office personnel on matters related to the work program activities of the department in the various specialized technical groups, as assigned, ie, protection, instrumentation, control and telecommunication pertaining to the protection, operation, control and maintenance of the electrical power system. Participate in developing standards and procedures, maintaining liaison with suppliers and other external organizations and cooperate with field personnel emergency breakdowns and problems of a highly technical nature.
- Provide technical advice and guidance to engineering personnel on matters relating to design, commissioning and maintenance of Protection and Control equipment. Receive assignment and directions from Supervisor on specific problems related to assigned areas of work.
- Obtain all necessary data for problem solving, including reports on condition of equipment, carrying out site investigation, reviewing design features of equipment, evaluation of maintenance repair and rehabilitation methods, availability of equipment and materials and the like.
- Meet with appropriate personnel to discuss the various features, matters of concern and reach a mutual understanding as to the requirements.
- Develop recommendations, discuss with assignment originator producing the necessary documentation to substantiate findings.
- Perform lab test for the protection and control IED settings and configuration.
- Participate in the development, interpretation and implementation of standards and procedures for commissioning and maintaining protection and control equipment. Study equipment, discuss with appropriate personnel, suppliers’ representatives and others as considered necessary and develop and recommend standards and procedures that will meet the Company’s requirements. Incorporate changes suggested by Supervisor and senior personnel and prepare documentation for inclusion in manuals. Interpret the intent to regional and plant personnel and participate in the implementation
- Liaise with suppliers of services and equipment, including tools and test equipment, with consultants, contractors and government agencies to discuss advantages of new equipment, to arrange for services to be provided or discuss work in progress or to clarify rules and regulations pertaining to the installation of new equipment and services and reach a mutual understanding in areas of concern. Keep Supervisor informed of progress and action and incorporate all supporting data for information purposes.
- Assist directly in field work in emergency situations or when work of an unusual highly technical nature is involved. Visit field locations and participate as necessary to restore to normal operation. Supervise field staff as required to obtain desired results.
- Perform special studies, as assigned, such as, investigating new or existing equipment or maintenance problems, assembling and verifying technical data, reviewing past occurrences and circumstances and reporting finding to Supervisor. Supervise others on loan to assist in work assignments.
- As assigned review specifications and evaluate tenders for new equipment, installations, services and the like and submit findings to assignment originator for their consideration and action.
- Develop and prepare courses, as assigned, on protection and control facilities for regional and plant personnel to maintain standards and improve efficiency.
- Represent the department, as assigned, on internal and external committees. Participate in discussion and elaborate department’s viewpoint. Keep Supervisor advised of results of such committees’ decisions.
- Maintain an awareness of advancing technology in the field of protection and control and utilize such knowledge in assigned work areas.
- Ensure overall and day-to-day Dept. objectives and performance are met and in compliance with NPCC, NERC CIP, IESO Market rules, and other regulatory requirements.
- Perform other duties as required
- Good interpersonal skills that capable to establish and promote respect and rapport with colleagues that help to mitigate conflicting expectations or conflict resolutions (e.g. with people & during projects).
- Self-motivated, cost conscious, timeliness, work independently and capable to be engaged in work with minimum supervision to deliver daily tasks and meet business objectives.
- Good oral, written, listening and communication skills that ensure effective exchange of ideas or information with colleagues and other stakeholders.
- Good technical presentation skills that ensure audience could grasp complex (or simple) technical information/ideas.
- Attention to details, quality driven in day-to-day, routine or complex tasks, maintains focus to ensure high quality deliverables.
- Ability to analyze complex problems including power system related problems, breakdown to manageable tasks and implement solutions.
- Previous P&C Design and/or field experience will be an asset.
Essential knowledge, Experience and Qualifications:
- Four year of university education in electrical engineering or equivalent.
- Eligible to be a licensed & practicing Professional Engineer within the Province of Ontario.
- A period of over 2 years and up to and including 4 years is considered necessary to gain such experience level in providing the expected engineering services including design, specification, technical analysis in metering system.
- Demonstrated sound and practical knowledge, strong technical competency in producing design, analysis and application of power system element, substation and ancillary systems of the followings:
- Power system protection schemes, system fault studies, relays and relay settings,
- Substation LAN/SCADA system and associated devices (IEDs, gateways, routers/Ethernet switches, RTU, etc.), interface with various equipment & system and device configurations,
- Knowledge of wholesale metering systems is preferred but not essential.
- Good understanding of legacy and current Protection, Control and Metering (PCM) installations and the integration legacy and new technology of PCM devices, equipment and systems, including special protection systems, telecom, etc.
- Demonstrated practical knowledge of policies, procedures and standards that govern complete design, commissioning and maintenance, analysis of P&C systems and overall project life cycles.
- Demonstrated good understanding and experience in using electrical design software tools to perform P&C design/study, such as CAPE (for fault studies), auto-wiring application (E3), AutoCAD, etc, etc.
- Demonstrated practical knowledge of regulatory requirements (e.g. NPCC, NERC CIP, IESO, Measurement Canada, etc.)
Hydro One employees, you can apply online via the Careers module in Success Factors. To access Success Factors, click on the Talent Management link in the Applications drop-down menu on the HydroNet site. Otherwise, if you do not have Hydro One computer access, forward your application to Careers@HydroOne.com. In the event you are experiencing difficulties applying to this job please visit myHR.
Deadline: July 14, 2020
Questions about the posting should be directed to the hiring manager. If you are selected for an interview or further evaluation and require special accommodations please speak with the hiring manager.
Xiao Jian Wu
NOTE: An Employee who is the successful applicant to a vacancy that results in a move between the Hydro One companies (Hydro One Networks, Hydro One Telecom and Hydro One Remotes) will have his/her EI and CPP deductions restarted. If as a result of the restart of these deductions the employee over contributes to EI and/or CPP, the employee will be eligible for a refund of the over contribution through their personal income tax return. For further details, please contact the HR Support Centre.
This article comes from NationTalk:
The permalink for this story is: