Reports to the Manager, Control of Infectious Diseases/Infection Control and is responsible for ensuring compliance with the Health Protection and Promotion Act and related provincial acts, regulations and municipal by-laws through the investigation of communicable disease cases and outbreaks and the inspection of specific premises to ensure infection control standards are implemented. The Public Health Nurse:
- Investigates reportable diseases under the Health Protection and Promotion Act
- Reviews incoming lab slips reporting communicable diseases, provides assessment, counselling, education and referral to people diagnosed with a communicable disease/completes contact notification and follow-up
- Investigates and responds to outbreaks in institutional settings, e.g. hospitals, long term care homes and complex continuing care facilities
- Provide support to and works collaboratively with other TPH CDC Programs as well as other health units in the collection of information and investigation of reports of communicable diseases
- Mentors, and provides orientation and training to new staff, community professionals, students and peers
- Participates in surveillance to determine possible causes of outbreaks at the area level and liaises with institutions to ensure proper outbreak management practices
- Represents TPH on assigned community networks and committees including attending and participating in infection/outbreak control meetings
- Participates in conducting studies, special surveys
- Analyzes findings using specialized computer programs as required
- Collects samples and specimens and forwards to laboratory for analysis
- Appears and gives evidence in court and at appeal boards
- Participates in the coordination of projects as determined by program specific operational plans
- Distributes educational materials and conducts educational seminars
- Maintains compliance with all privacy and confidentiality legislation
- Participates in After Hours on call (e.g.disease investigations and managing outbreaks)
- Supports TPH response to emergencies requiring Public Health assistance
Your application must describe your qualifications as they relate to:
- A Baccalaureate degree in nursing from a recognized university and a valid licence from the College of Nurses of Ontario.
- Experience in the control of the various types of communicable diseases.
- Experience in disease and outbreak investigation and basic communicable disease epidemiology.
- Experience in interviewing and follow up of people (and their contacts) diagnosed with a communicable disease.
- Possession of a valid Ontario Class “G” Driver’s License and access to a vehicle.
You must also have:
- Demonstrated ability to organize and supervise field work and exercise initiative and independent judgement.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain good relations with the public and other staff.
- Demonstrated ability to speak effectively in public and to work in teams.
Please Note: The successful candidate will be assigned to use information systems containing personal health information and will be required to meet registration requirements of eHealth Ontario to perform the required duties of the position.
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set-up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto’s Accommodation Policy, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the City’s hiring process.
If you are invited to participate in an assessment process, kindly provide your accommodation needs in advance. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org , quoting the job ID # and the job classification title.
This article comes from NationTalk:
The permalink for this story is: