The mission of the Aboriginal Sport, Recreation and Physical Activity Partners Council (Partners Council) is to improve the health outcomes of Aboriginal people across British Columbia by supporting and encouraging physically active communities. The programs delivered by the Partners Council are designed to build capacity and increase access to sport, recreation and physical activity in First Nations, Métis Chartered Communities, Aboriginal Friendship Centres, schools and other delivery agencies throughout BC.
The Partners Council is seeking a candidate to fill the following full-time staff vacancy: Sport and Physical Activity Coordinator for the Vancouver Coastal Region. Reporting to the Director – Sport, and working closely with the Regional Lead and Coordinating Group of their respective Regional Committee, the primary role of the Regional Coordinator is to engage stakeholder groups in the design and delivery of community-based, culturally relevant sport, recreation and physical activity programs for Aboriginal people throughout the Region. The ideal candidate will possess an extensive background in the areas of sport, recreation and physical activity and have established networks/connections among Aboriginal communities and organizations within the Region. Successful applicant will be required to reside in the region (Vancouver Coastal region map available at http://aboriginalsportbc.ca).
Competencies and Requirements
- Post-secondary degree/certificate
- Applied knowledge of Aboriginal community issues
- Work experience in the field of sport, recreation, and physical activity
- Event and project management experience
- Strong verbal, written communication and presentation skills
- Exceptional organizational skills with a proficiency in Microsoft applications (Word, PowerPoint and Excel)
- Demonstrated ability to work independently with limited supervision
- Able to travel throughout the region to promote and support the delivery of programs (requiring aflexible work schedule and a valid driver’s license)
- Successful completion of criminal record and vulnerable sector checks
Term: Full-time employment contingent on annual funding
Salary: $46,000 – $50,000 pro-rated annually (based on a 35 hour work week) which includes a comprehensive health benefit package
Location: Office space will be established in a central location within the Region. The BC Association of Aboriginal Friendship Centres (BCAAFC) serves as the official Host Agency of the Partners Council. Accordingly, the Regional Coordinator will be employed by the BCAAFC.
To Apply: Please complete the Online Application Form where you must upload a cover letter, resume and three references (name and contact info). Address your cover letter to attention of Lara Mussell Savage, Director of Sport.
Deadline to apply: 5:00pm, Wednesday, February 8, 2017.
All applications are appreciated, however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted. Pursuant to section 41 of the BC Human Rights Code, preference may be given to applicants of Aboriginal ancestry who self-identify.
This article comes from NationTalk:
The permalink for this story is: