Note: The length of this assignment is up to 8 months
Reporting to the Manager, Office of Emergency Management the primary role of the Research Analyst 3 is to initiate, plan and conduct research studies on various topics to assist management staff in the Division to develop, coordinate, implement and maintain the City of Toronto Emergency Management program that complies with the municipal, provincial and federal legislation, to enable a centralized, controlled and coordinated response to any emergency that threatens the social, physical and economic wellbeing of the City.
- Provides economic and business information in response to both internal and external requests.
- Conducts research and analysis and prepares reports relating to a wide range of areas pertaining to the emergency management program
- Develops and maintains data sets
- Inputs reports, documents, proposals and correspondence as required by the Unit.
- Compiles information packages and other direct mail activities in support of the Division’s activities and distributes: relevant plans such as business continuity and risk based plans/documents, emergency support functions and mapping of resources.
- Creates detailed maps and directories.
- Updates and maintains directories, statistics and communications used by all levels in the Division including management staff including relevant plans such as business continuity and risk based plans/documents, emergency support functions and mapping of resources.
- Supports senior staff with special events and activities, coordinating seminars and meetings and attending functions as required to provide on-site assistance.
- Establishing and maintaining filing system for Unit.
- Answering telephone and written inquiries.
- Providing cover off on telephones for Division Staff as required.
- Develops and maintains databases of programs, services, facilities, and political representation.
- Reports on demographics and related statistics on subjects such as emergency management trends.
- Maintains the division’s external web site which includes designing and developing and updating web pages.
- Responds to business related requests for information both from internal and external sources.
- Compiles and analyzes surveys used by the Division for performance measures purposes and for other internal monitoring procedures.
- Maintains a filing system of business related statistics.
- Assists in the preparation of research/study findings, pilot projects, and statistical reports.
Your application must describe your qualifications as they relate to:
- Post-Secondary education in a discipline pertinent to the job function (i.e Emergency Management, Business Continuity, Political Science, Public Policy etc.) combined with relevant training and experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience with and knowledge of various software applications including: Geographic Information Systems (i.e ArcGIS); and MS Office Suite (i.e Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Experience in research related projects including the tracking, collecting, summarizing, analyzing and reporting of research findings in comprehensive plans and reports.
You must also have:
- Highly developed oral and written communication skills; ability to prepare and present comprehensive plans and reports.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a team environment, taking a constructive, solutions-based approach to problem solving and a positive approach towards stakeholder relationship management.
- Ability to represent the Division in a variety of situations
- Ability to meet and deal tactfully and maintain good working relationships with the public, City ABC’s representatives and private sector partners/advisors.
- Fundamental knowledge of research methodologies and practices and the ability to research, compile and analyze information, statistics and demographics.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills, in combination with a high level of initiative to perform duties under minimal supervision.
- Sound judgement in all matters including the handling of confidential and /or sensitive matters
- Ability to work effectively in a high-pressure environment, multi-task effectively and meet tight and competing deadlines.
- Well-developed organizational and administrative skills.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Familiar with emergency management practice and policy, including relevant legislation, risk assessment, mitigation, and business continuity.
- Familiar with the concepts, principles and strategies associated with the Incident Management System and the functions of the Emergency Operations Centre
- Ability to use applications such as Visio, SAP, Access and other customized database programs and designing, developing and maintaining web pages (i.e HTML), electronic database development, management and manipulation; would be considered an asset.
- Business Continuity certification; would be considered an asset.
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set-up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto’s Accommodation Policy, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the City’s hiring process.
If you are invited to participate in an assessment process, kindly provide your accommodation needs in advance. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process, please do not hesitate to contact us.