academic excellence and a culture that inspires lives of leadership and purpose. Laurier has a distinct commitment to teaching, research, experiential learning, sustainability and scholarship, which combine to address critical challenges in society, business, the economy and the environment – globally and in the communities we serve. At Laurier’s heart is its strong student focus, which results in exceptional levels of student satisfaction and a deep sense of community that lives on through the university’s highly engaged alumni.
Laurier takes pride in building meaningful relationships with colleagues and students. The Laurier community supports one another, encourages collaboration and teamwork and respects work/life balance, all while recognizing the importance of a challenging, rewarding and inspiring career. Laurier has more than 19,000 students and 2,100 faculty and staff across campuses in Waterloo and Brantford, as well as locations in Kitchener and Toronto.
Diversity is one of Laurier’s core values. The university is committed to providing an inclusive workplace and employing a workforce that is reflective of local and national demographics. Our locations are situated on the traditional territories of the Neutral, Anishnawbe, and Haudenosaunee peoples. We recognize the unique heritages of Indigenous peoples and support their intentions to preserve and express their distinctive Indigenous cultures, histories, and knowledge through academic programming and co-curricular activities. Laurier’s Centre for Indigegogy is one example of how Laurier honours Indigenous knowledge.
We currently have an opportunity to join the Laurier community as a Research Finance Accountant.
The Research Finance Accountant contributes to the efficient and effective management of research funds by reviewing grant payroll expenditure requests for eligibility and available funds, as well as monitoring, tracking and preparing/reviewing/signing financial reports on these funds, reducing the risk and liability to the university by proactive financial management of external research funding. The incumbent will provide functional guidance to staff members and will assist in monitoring and reviewing their work. The incumbent liaises with university staff, faculty and external agencies for the purpose of exchanging financial data, and provides accounting procedure direction. The incumbent works regularly with highly sensitive and confidential information from internal and external sources. This position has a university-wide mandate and is based at the Waterloo campus. The incumbent provides subject matter expertise to all campuses, requiring regular interpersonal interactions and collaboration with departments at the Waterloo Campus, the Brantford Campus, and external partners. Special attention is given to ensure equitable service delivery across all locations.
Hours of Work: The normal hours of work are 8:30 am to 4:30 pm, Monday to Friday. Flexibility in hours will be required, including evening and/or weekend work due to the Tri Agency financial reporting deadline each Spring. When possible, the manager will adjust the work schedule so that no more than 35 hours are worked in a week.
- Review and sign financial reports, inter-institutional agreements and invoices prepared by other staff
- Prepare grants and contracts financial reports for funding agencies in a timely manner
- Prepare custom financial reports based on researcher needs
- Prepare budget to actual and variance analysis reports
- Update Millennium Research Finance module for research grant details and schedule/delegate monthly reporting tasks
- Prepare invoices to funding agencies, as required
- Prepare inter-institutional transfer agreements for researchers wishing to transfer research funds to other institutions
- Schedule reporting deadlines, as required
- Review research grant payroll requests for eligibility and available funds
- Provide backup compliance review for research Purchase Card transactions, online procurement system transactions and out of pocket expense claims, as required
- Exercise judgement in deciding whether an expenditure is allowable based on an understanding of the funding agreement
- Respond to a variety of queries from researchers, including but not limited to, transactions and balances in research grants, access to funds, eligibility of expenditures
- Advise researchers on financial matters, funding agencies’ guidelines, financial terminology and standard accounting practices
- Analyze details of budgets, actual expenditures and encumbrances
- Prepare and process journal vouchers to transfer expenditures between research grants
- Review new research grants and contracts, as requested
- Provide functional guidance to staff members
- Collaborate with other departments, particularly Financial Resources and Faculties, regarding issues encountered during compliance reviews, financial reporting etc
- Special project analysis, reporting and other duties, as required
Please submit a cover letter and resume.
Wilfrid Laurier University endeavors to fill positions with qualified candidates who have a combination of education, experience, skills and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position while demonstrating Laurier’s Employee Success Factors.
Diversity and creating a culture of inclusion is a key pillar of Wilfrid Laurier University’s Strategic Academic Plan and is one of Laurier’s core values. Laurier is committed to increasing the diversity of faculty and staff and welcomes applications from candidates who identify as Indigenous, racialized, having disabilities, and from persons of any sexual identities and gender identities. Indigenous candidates who would like to learn more about equity and inclusive programing at Laurier are welcomed to contact the Office of Indigenous Initiatives at firstname.lastname@example.org. Candidates from other equity seeking groups who would like to learn more about equity and inclusive programing at Laurier are welcomed to contact Employment Equity & Accessibility at email@example.com. We have strived to make our application process accessible however if you require any assistance applying for a position or would like this job posting in an alternative format, please contact Human Resources at 519-884-1970 ext.2007 or firstname.lastname@example.org.