Ministry of Environment
Section Head, Recovery
Salary: $71,196.13 – $81,477.14 annually
The Ministry of Environment is the lead Provincial agency that has legislated and mandated requirements for emergency response, planning and preparedness involving incidents related to marine oil spills, inland oil spills and hazardous materials spills. The Ministry’s Environmental Emergency Program leads the Province’s ongoing commitment to prevent, prepare for, mitigate, and respond to spills that effect the environment. The program plays an essential role in protecting both human health and the environmental quality of the province’s water, land, and air resources along with the flora and fauna they contain.
The Section Head, Recovery provides supervision and professional oversight for the Environmental Emergency Program’s Recovery Section, including managing staff and stakeholder relationships, leading large-scale professional projects, applying legislation, regulation, policies and professional standards in a consistent manner, and overseeing program delivery. This is a new position. The successful candidate will be responsible for building a new staff team and implementing new requirements for spillers to conduct environmental recovery following hazardous material spills, this includes leading the implementation of new regulations, developing operational policies and guidelines, and building stakeholder relationships. It also involves a key role in Environmental Impact Assessments post-spill including determining restoration strategies and sampling and monitoring requirements.
Qualifications for this role include:
- Degree in the natural resource area (including chemistry, biology, earth sciences, environmental engineering) or emergency management or related field plus 4 years of *related experience OR;
- Diploma in the natural resource area (including chemistry, biology, earth sciences, environmental engineering) or emergency management or related field plus 6 years of *related experience OR;
- An equivalent combination of *related experience and education may be considered.
- Experience leading, coaching and mentoring staff
- Valid B.C. driver’s licence
For more information on this career opportunity including how to apply online by January 9th 2017, please visit: