At Laurier, we are a community. It’s what brings our students here and what keeps our people here.
As an educational institution, we inspire lives of leadership and purpose in our student community. As an employer, we seek, foster and value the same qualities of leadership and purpose in our employee community.
We currently have an opportunity to join the Laurier community as a Security Guard.
The Security Guard enables quick response time by obtaining accurate and complete information when answering emergency and non-emergency telephone calls from the public. The Security Guard must respond efficiently and appropriately to calls for service or redirecting administrative calls for service. It is the incumbent’s duty to support officers by operating, monitoring and responding to all radio transmissions. They must also ensure that records and information are complete by correctly operating various computer systems and the Service’s Records Management System.
A valid Security Guard license is required. A Security Guard is responsible to ensure they meet ministry standards and maintain their renewal as required. A Security Guard will be required to perform security guard duties including calls for access, crowd control, etc.
Accountabilities : Responsibilities and Duties
• Perform security details at 1 Market Square, Brantford ON
• Respond to emergency and non-emergency calls for service.
• Gather information from callers and relay pertinent information to personnel who are responding to the call.
• Monitor CCTV cameras/respond to fire and security alarms as needed
• Assist SC officers and other emergency services such as EMS, Fire, BPS, towing company, taxi, FOOT Patrol, or departments as required
• Other duties as required or assigned
• Assist with security functions/events including crowd control and assisting officers with security concerns including de-escalating potential volatile situations
• Update, verify, and maintain information in a variety of databases and spreadsheets as required
• Remain current on Policies, Procedures, and day-to-day mall operations
• Laurier is a multi-campus University and all Security guards must be familiar with security as it pertains to each unique campus.
• Patrol mall and develop relationships with stakeholders/occupants/community; other duties as assigned
• Record all information and document activities as required in notebook
• Maintain duty notebook and accurately record information
• valid Ontario Security license and maintain ministry standards
• Excellent communications skills; able to communicate well both verbally and non verbally
• Oral communication and interpersonal skills to listen actively and respond in a composed manner to emergency calls regarding incidents from persons who may be distressed or emotional, and to be able to calm them down sufficiently to obtain concise details in a timely manner.
• Professional oral communication and interpersonal skills to interact with officers, emergency services personnel, and Brantford Police Service via telephone.
• Ability to organize, prioritize, multi task and problem solve under stressful situations
• Must be fluent in both oral and written English
• Must possess basic computer skills and have the ability to learn to use programs regularly used by SCS
• Must possess Emergency First Aid and CPR Certificate
• Must be able to pass hearing and vision testing if required
#23.16 per hour
Salary Notes :
35 hours per week.
Please Note :
Please submit a cover letter and resume.
Wilfrid Laurier University endeavors to fill positions with qualified candidates who have a combination of education, experience, skills and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position while demonstrating Laurier’s Employee Success Factors.
Diversity and creating a culture of inclusion is a key pillar of Wilfrid Laurier University’s Strategic Academic Plan and is one of Laurier’s core values. Laurier is committed to increasing the diversity of faculty and staff and welcomes applications from candidates who identify as Indigenous, racialized, having disabilities, and from persons of any sexual identities and gender identities. Indigenous candidates who would like to learn more about equity and inclusive programing at Laurier are welcomed to contact the Office of Indigenous Initiatives at email@example.com. Candidates from other equity seeking groups who would like to learn more about equity and inclusive programing at Laurier are welcomed to contact the Diversity and Equity Office at firstname.lastname@example.org. We have strived to make our application process accessible however if you require any assistance applying for a position or would like this job posting in an alternative format, please contact Human Resources at 519-884-1970 ext.2007 or email@example.com.