AMENDED NUMBER OF VACANCIES
Join our Compensation team
As a Senior HR Consultant in the Compensation Unit, you will be joining a team of highly energized and engaged professionals committed to the principles of fairness and equity, who deliver compensation, job evaluation and pay equity services for a diverse organization and workforce.
- Provides senior level compensation expertise, consultation, interpretation and direct human resource services to a portfolio of divisions.
- As a member of a team of human resource professionals, provides input and leadership into the development of goals and objectives based on corporate and divisional priorities.
- Provides leadership to complex programs/projects, developing recommendations, implementing solutions and ensuring quality in service delivery.
- Leads and participates in the development, research, analysis, costing, implementation and/or negotiations of compensation programs, pay equity plans, job design and wage/salary administration and policies.
- Participates on a team of human resources professionals providing a range of human resources expertise, interpretation and consultation to clients at all levels of the organization for all aspects of compensation including job evaluation, job design, pay equity, wage/salary administration, compensation policy interpretation etc.
- Provides effective human resource management consultation/issue resolution services, interpretation and guidance to all levels of management, employees, and external organizations, requiring an integrated knowledge of human resource management and interpretation of legislation, collective agreements, policies, programs and processes related to compensation.
- Provides a quality control function as it relates to work planning, identifying continuous improvement, setting output targets/deliverables and metrics.
- Participates in the development of human resources policies, practices and procedures.
- Mentors and coaches Consultants, Associates and Program Assistants.
- Partners with Payroll, Legal Services and other functional areas in human resources in the delivery, implementation and resolution of human resources matters.
- Prepares and acts as a witness/advisor for mediation and arbitration hearings related to compensation, job evaluation and pay equity matters.
- Leads/participates on Joint City/Union Job Evaluation Committees in administering job evaluation programs.
- Conducts and/or responds to job and salary surveys. Identifies, trends, analyzes results and prepares reports and recommendations.
- Leads the design, development and delivery of training tools for various stakeholders.
- Represents the division on complex corporate initiatives and divisional work teams.
- Post-secondary education in a relevant discipline (Human Resources, Business, etc.) and/or the equivalent combination of education and experience. Certified Human Resources Professional (CHRP) or other relevant professional designation/certificate is an asset.
- Extensive experience in the human resources field with a specialization in compensation, including experience working with job evaluation and pay equity in a major unionized public or private sector organization.
- Considerable experience co-ordinating the work of team members and coaching, developing and engaging staff in order to provide growth and opportunity, achieve results, best practices and encourage teamwork.
- Considerable experience in project management with the ability to initiate, coordinate and oversee the implementation of solutions in response to organization issues.
- Extensive experience in applying highly developed analytical and problem solving skills with the ability to identify needs, options, opportunities for change/improvement and solutions.
- Extensive experience establishing partnerships and providing and enhancing customer service utilizing consultation skills at all levels within the organization and mediation/negotiation skills with union representatives, related to compensation issues.
- Thorough knowledge of the Pay Equity Act and with knowledge of employment and related legislation such as the Labour Relations Act, Human Rights Code, Employment Standards Act, Collective Agreements and human resource policies and practices.
- Knowledge of research and data collection methodologies used to compile and assess information from sources such as other levels of government, individuals, external organizations, databases, professional literature, and the internet.
- Ability to apply a broad perspective requiring an integrated knowledge of human resource management related disciplines and business processes while ensuring consistent application of access, equity, diversity and human rights consideration in compensation program delivery.
- Effective conflict resolution and problem solving skills with a high degree of sensitivity and confidentiality.
- Excellent analytical and research skills with an ability to recommend solutions to complex compensation issues.
- Ability to achieve objectives by exercising discretion, judgement and working independently or as a leader/member of a team.
- Excellent verbal and written communication, presentation and human relation skills.
- Proficient in using a variety of software packages including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and SAP.
- Demonstrated ability to adhere to the City’s motto, mission, values and ethics.
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set-up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto’s Accommodation Policy, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the City’s hiring process.
If you are invited to participate in an assessment process, kindly provide your accommodation needs in advance. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.