Senior Land Use Planner
Posted: February 24, 2017 Closing: March 15, 2017
Are you an experienced land use planner who is looking for an opportunity to make a difference with your work? This might be the job for you!
The person we are seeking will have at least 10 years of relevant professional experience with Indigenous community and/or municipal land use planning. SVS’s Senior Land Use Planner will work collaboratively with our team and clients to:
- Undertake land use planning for Indigenous communities
- Obtain land code designation for First Nations and provide advice to developmental and operational communities under the First Nations Land Management Regime
- Deliver training and capacity building to First Nations, Metis and Inuit organizations and individuals on land use planning concepts and processes
- Facilitate individual and group mapping processes as input to “Traditional Knowledge” studies
- Provide consultation and regulatory process support as needed
Salary and benefits are competitive and negotiable.
Mandatory Qualifications and Experience
- At least 10 years’ professional experience as a land use planner, with at least 2 years spent working in the Canadian context
- Masters Degree in land use planning, geography, or an equivalent field
- Experience designing, leading, and completing land use plans including long range and lower level plans, zoning by-laws, and land use policies
- Ability to prepare land use planning documents, evaluations and technical reports
- Experience providing economic development planning and support services
- Proven ability to effectively facilitate consultation, negotiation and conflict resolution processes
- Honed financial, funding application and administration skills
- Familiarity with the First Nations Land Management Act and Regime
- Strong plain language and technical communications proficiency, including report writing and presentations
- Interest in and respect for Indigenous culture and history
- Experience effectively managing projects with budgets of at least $100,000
- Experience managing and leading interdisciplinary teams
- Entrepreneurial spirit, including an interest in and experience with relationship-based approaches to business development
Professional experience and/or understanding of:
- Environmental assessment regulations and practices
- Environmental management planning / resource management planning
- Geotechnical assessments
- Geographic Information Systems (GIS) software
- Land use planning in rural / remote parts of Canada
- Working directly for or with First Nation, Metis and/or Inuit communities or organizations in Canada
- Teaching and training others in land use planning concepts and processes
- Working as a consultant
- Working with Indigenous knowledge (aka “traditional knowledge”)
- Multimedia story-telling
- Creative facilitation approaches
Please send your resume via email with subject line “Senior Land Use Planner” to:
Nichole Fraser MacDonald
Managing Partner, Shared Value Solutions
We will be accepting applications until March 15, 2017. Late applications may be considered.
About Shared Value Solutions
Shared Value Solutions (SVS) has an unshakable commitment to a land where all peoples can reach their full potential, share prosperity, and uphold their rights. We believe all of this begins and ends with healthy lands and waters.
SVS is a small, rapidly growing 20-person environmental and community development consulting firm located in Guelph, Ontario, Canada, that works primarily for Indigenous clients. The position will involve some travel across Canada and to northern communities.
We assist Indigenous and non-Indigenous communities and private sector companies in coming together to create shared value for all parties involved. Our values are to “have fun, make money, do good, and do good work”. For more information: www.sharedvaluesolutions.com and www.facebook.com/SharedValueSolutions.