As an integral part of the Technology Infrastructure Services team, you will provide services in large-scale enterprise network systems availability, utilization and integration of a corporate-wide infrastructure that crosses many departmental boundaries such as components of existing network hardware and software platforms, enterprise directories, enterprise network management tools, enterprise database management systems, network security and performance. As a Senior Technical Support Specialist 1 (Cisco Unified Communications Specialist), you will also recommend any necessary modifications, upgrades or acquisitions.
Your primary responsibilities as a Senior Technical Support Specialist 1 (Cisco Unified Communications Specialist) will be varied. Specifically, you will:
- Design, architect, analyze and implement detailed plans and recommend policies and procedures regarding program-specific requirements.
- Supervise, motivate and train assigned cross-divisional project staff, ensuring effective teamwork, high standards of work quality and organizational performance, and continuous learning, and encouraging innovation in others.
- Supervise the day-to-day project operation of all assigned staff, including the scheduling, assigning and reviewing of work.
- Authorize and coordinate vacation and overtime requests, monitor and evaluate staff performance and salary increments, hear grievances, and recommend disciplinary action when necessary.
- Provide input into, and administer, assigned budget, ensuring that expenditures are controlled and maintained within approved budget limitations.
- Provide advice and consultation to business users and other technical staff, to determine requirements, research solutions, evaluate alternatives, and recommend policies, network integration, network security, network infrastructure, common network software required, and the final product acquisition.
- Lead technical project teams comprised of members from other departments and/or sections of the Division, to determine requirements, research, evaluate, develop and/or acquire, implement, and provide technical support for enterprise network products and/or solutions to support business requirements.
- Provide senior-level support of the enterprise software and hardware installation, upgrades, configuration, account management, security administration, capacity planning and performance tuning.
- Perform hardware, software, appliance and related tools’ installation, configuration, maintenance and upgrades, as well as perform account management, system monitoring and security services on the systems, including the creation of City-wide policies and standards, and enforcement of standards relating to user account creation and access permissions for users.
- Provide enterprise-wide backup and disaster recovery services to meet business recovery requirements, with responsibility for the capacity planning, security measurement, and performance tuning of the overall infrastructure, including Internet, Intranet and Extranet environments.
- Develop, manage, and report on detailed project plans, and ensure that effective corporate standard system security and internal processing controls (audit controls) are maintained.
- Oversee change management for both hardware and software, manage vendor relations in the case of external hardware, systems software, and network and/or service acquisitions, and provide risk assessment and its potential impact on enterprise systems and users.
- Ensure timeliness and completion of corporate projects by providing project management and project planning, influencing project scope, monitoring critical success factors, coordinating projects resources and reporting on project milestones and deliverables.
- Lead in the preparation of Request for Proposal (RFP), Request for Quotation (RFQ), and Request for Information (RFI) and participate in the evaluation and selection of technical solutions.
- Establish City-wide standards related to the operability and high availability of corporate data centre software and hardware products, through the identification and resolution of service or performance problems, and initiate changes to enhance problem avoidance.
- Review, evaluate, recommend, and provide direction on emerging technologies and business innovation for improving service, reducing costs and enhancing efficiency on internal service improvement, and cost efficiencies to the public.
- Work with highly confidential information, and be available 7×24 while on-call to respond to critical page alerts.
Your application for the role of Senior Technical Support Specialist 1 (Cisco Unified Communications Specialist) should describe your qualifications as they relate to:
- Extensive experience in implementing and supporting a large and complex Cisco Unified Contact Centre Enterprise (UCCE) solution including Cisco’s suite of collaboration products including CVP, Finesse, IP-IVR, and CUCM.
- Extensive experience in CVP programming and scripting would be an asset.
- Extensive experience in providing technical support in a large, diverse Cisco network and telecommunication environment, including enterprise network management systems.
- Extensive experience in the planning, evaluation, analysis, design, implementation and integration of enterprise network products in a large, diverse computing and telecommunication environment.
- Considerable team lead experience in supervising and training staff on an ongoing and/or project basis.
- Considerable experience in leading the technical change process from planning and implementation perspectives; ITIL certification, an asset.
- Considerable experience in network capacity planning, network system monitoring, performance tuning and problem determinations in a complex operating environment.
- A recognized certification such as CCNA, CCNP, CCVP or CCIE (w/Voice), or equivalent.
- A university degree in Computer Science, Network Engineering or a related discipline and/or an approved equivalent combination of education and work experience.
- Extensive experience in, and knowledge of, current and emerging enterprise network, telecommunication and Internet related technologies, including hardware, software and appliance solutions, high-availability and load-balancing technologies, multitasking and multithreaded configurations, as well as local and wide area networks in both wired and wireless environments.
- Excellent problem-solving, interpersonal, and written and oral communications skills.
- Ability to work independently as a leader and/or co-operatively as a team member.
- Ability to work effectively with clients, at both technical and non-technical levels.
- Ability to negotiate the effective resolution of conflicting business priorities with different stakeholders.
- Ability to prepare, organize and present business cases, proposals, solutions and budgets or similar formal documents and statements for various audiences, including stakeholders, clients and the public.
- Ability to be on-call to support the City’s enterprise production network.
- A valid Ontario Class G driver’s licence and access to a properly insured vehicle.
Contribute to the vision of “Toronto better served through innovative Information Technology”
As North America’s fourth largest city and Canada’s financial and business capital, the City of Toronto is seeking innovative, proven information technology specialists to join our dynamic team, Help build a best practice IT organization that will be responsive in meeting the needs of our 240+ different lines of business involving more than 20,000 staff at 600+ sites.
Join the Toronto Public Service as a Senior Technical Support Specialist 1 (Cisco Unified Communications Specialist) within our award-winning IT Division, supporting the City programs and services that ultimately serve approximately 2.8 million residents. The diversity of our IT applications, services and infrastructure mirrors the diversity of our citizens. This includes an infrastructure of over 22,300 desktops/notebooks/workstations, 2,100 servers, 1,000 applications and 1 Petabyte of data. We are proud to be recognized worldwide for our successful use of IT to attract leading-edge business, build skills, generate economic growth and improve government service delivery. Our talented teams are behind the creation of the City’s 3-1-1 Report It Online campaign, Toronto Public Library’s express checkout system and Canada Post’s ePost service.
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set-up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto’s Accommodation Policy, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the City’s hiring process.
If you are invited to participate in an assessment process, kindly provide your accommodation needs in advance. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, quoting the job ID # and the job classification title.