Reporting to the Supervisor, Desktop Services, you will you act as a technical deployment lead for our upcoming hardware and software refreshers. You will be responsible for providing 2nd and 3rd level technical support to client divisions while maintaining the effective use of local server resources, desktop resources and related peripherals. You will also be responsible for leading and/or co-ordinating technical teams throughout the planning and implementation of various I&T related projects.
- Provides technical second and third level support for the desktop infrastructure.
- Diagnoses client problems and develops solutions and/or action plans.
- Provides expertise in identification, evaluation of alternatives and resolution of hardware, software, desktop security and network/server connectivity issues.
- Installs, configures, and troubleshoots all desktop-related hardware, software and printing.
- Leads/oversees technical project teams and assists in all aspects of project management as a lead/coordinator of IT enterprise and client divisional initiatives.
- Plans, coordinates and provides on-site project implementation support for upgrades and new large-scale hardware and software solutions.
- Performs capacity and lifecycle planning for desktop and workgroup printing infrastructure.
- Acts as local implementation lead for assessing, deploying and configuring City-wide hardware and software upgrades sustained through the Life Cycle Management Service.
- Works with individual clients, Business Unit management teams and Client Relationship.
- Management to provide technical expertise, business analysis support, requirements.
- Determination, implementation support for new business solutions and resolution of client and resolve service level issues.
- Leads the team, liaises and coordinates with internal and external groups/vendors on deliverables and resolution of problems and issues.
- Recommends preventive solutions to mitigate recurrence of similar problems.
- Acts as enterprise level support to technical support staff in other divisions.
- Provides client needs analysis. Assists clients/IT division in defining evolving needs for new or enhanced systems, products or services; conducts research and evaluations, establishes selection criteria, provides technical advice and makes recommendations.
- Participates in formulating and developing key IT strategies and initiatives such as best-practices and process improvement initiatives and overall support service delivery strategy.
- Produces statistical reports and analyzes trends.
- Maintains standard City-wide desktop configuration (Image) and creates Business Unit Images for client divisions.
- Communicates reports and trends analysis to management, training staff, and unit staff, and makes recommendations for changes to systems, environments, user training or service delivery.
- Performs network directory file administration, including setup of access and security permissions of data, for client divisions.
- Advises security management and control teams on security-related technologies and access control alternatives.
- Provides expertise in enterprise assessment, analysis, evaluation of corporate standard and nonstandard software and hardware. Using diagnostic tools, ensures the optimum operation, security and maintenance of technology solutions.
- Performs desktop-related Domain administration and Group Policy functions.
- Reviews and implements desktop Domain policies, standards and configuration.
- Acts as a technical lead to draft implementation, rollout strategies, site relocations or set-up and plan.
- Ensures pro-active action is taken for the installation, operation and support of desktops and applications.
- Analyzes patterns and recommends preventive solutions to mitigate recurrence of similar problems.
- Develops and coordinates divisional and city wide documentation and procedures for IT technical teams.
- Reviews work and provides guidance/training to Technology Analyst 1, Technology Analyst 2 positions.
- Serves as local contact for network/server and other I&T management teams on hardware and software technologies, connectivity, backup and recovery alternatives, data migrations and other initiatives impacting the desktop infrastructure.
- Leads teams and assists in emergency IT response scenarios such as malware containment and related situations.
- Performs desktop-related IT tasks in response to issues, client service requests, and operational requirements.
- Travels within the City of Toronto as required.
Your application must describe your qualifications as they relate to:
- Extensive hands-on tier 2 and tier 3 experience in I&T technical desktop functioning in a desktop support role supporting clients in a large diverse computing environment.
- Post-Secondary degree or diploma in computer science, or related discipline, or the approved equivalent combination of education and experience working on large scale technology projects.
- In depth knowledge and extensive experience with configuring and troubleshooting technical issues with supported software packages such as Microsoft Windows 7/10, Microsoft Office 2013 Suite, Outlook, IE 11, Firefox and desktop imaging.
- Considerable experience dealing with tier 3 level technical issues and advanced hardware configuration on desktops, peripherals and printers.
- Proven and demonstrated Project Management experience working as a technical lead on I&T related initiatives.
- Strong technical experience configuring and supporting mobile computing devices, such as Tablets, Notebooks, Toughbook’s, Smartphones and handheld devices.
- Strong working knowledge of Batch and VB scripts
- Good technical understanding of Wide Area Networks, Network Protocols and services (TCP/IP, DNS, SMTP etc), Microsoft Active Directory domains, Novell/eDirectory and automated software delivery methods and tools.
You must also have:
- Possession of a valid Ontario class “G” Driver’s Licence and access to a properly insured vehicle and travel within the City of Toronto as required.
- Must be willing to work weekends and overtime when requested
- Ability to lift objects (up to 20 kgs).
- Ability to work with minimum supervision, to set priorities, plan and execute tasks.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively within a dynamic team environment as well as project team setting.
- Strong conceptual, analytical and problem solving skills.
- Proven commitment to customer service, performance quality and continuous improvement.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to convey, clearly and effectively to a variety of audiences.
- Strong customer service skills and ability to excel in a client-focused environment, with excellent interpersonal and relationship-building skills and the ability to build collaborative relationships.
- Ability to prioritize, plan, organize and work independently and cooperatively with others in a team environment.
- The ability to make judgements and recommendations about the application of technology to business needs.
- The ability to work with clients at both technical and non-technical levels.
- Applicants are required to demonstrate in their applications/resumes that their qualifications match those specified in the job posting.
- Additional information submitted after the job posting closing date will not be accepted
- Assessment will include a written technical test and interview(s), Location of assessment to be determined.
- A candidate list will be established
Contribute to the vision of “Toronto better served through innovative Information Technology”
As North America’s fourth largest city and Canada’s financial and business capital, the City of Toronto is seeking innovative, proven information technology specialists to join our dynamic team. Help build a best practice IT organization that will be responsive in meeting the needs of our 240+ different lines of business involving more than 20,000 staff at 600+ sites.
Join the Toronto Public Service as an Enterprise IT Training Designer / Developer within our award-winning IT Division, supporting the City programs and services that ultimately serve approximately 2.8 million residents. The diversity of our IT applications, services and infrastructure mirrors the diversity of our citizens. This includes an infrastructure of over 22,300 desktops/notebooks/workstations, 2,100 servers, 1,000 applications and 1 petabyte of data. We are proud to be recognized worldwide for our successful use of IT to attract leading-edge business, build skills, generate economic growth and improve government service delivery. Our talented teams are behind the creation of the Toronto Public Library’s express checkout system, the City’s 3-1-1 Report It Online campaign, and the integration with Canada Post’s ePost Service.
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set-up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto’s Accommodation Policy, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the City’s hiring process.
If you are invited to participate in an assessment process, kindly provide your accommodation needs in advance. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.