Region: Banff – Jasper – Rocky Mountain House Region
Address: 221 Bear St. Banff, AB T1L 1B3
Working Hours: 40 to 44 hours per week
Employment Conditions: Shift, Overtime, Weekend, Day, Night, Evening
Benefits: Medical Benefits, Dental Benefits, Disability Benefits
Saltlik is looking for a diverse, excellent team player to be a Sous Chef in Banff Saltlik.
Saltlik is an iconic Banff steakhouse, known for its impressive selection of AAA and Certified Angus Beef steaks complemented by a diverse collection of wines from the open-to-view cellar.
The Sous Chef oversees kitchen operations including outside caterings throughout the kitchen, reporting to the Chef. The Sous Chef supervises the staff of the kitchen, participating in the training and development of staff and also provides input for performance appraisals and disciplinary action. Manages the kitchen in compliance with all health and safety regulations by ensuring adherence to sanitary and safe food handling guidelines at all times.
– Coach and provide leadership to all the staff of the kitchen, either directly or through the Chef de Partie(s), ensuring the training and development of staff, providing input for performance, appraisals, and disciplinary action, within the values and guidelines of Saltlik Steakhouse.
– Ensure consistent food preparation and the highest caliber/quality of food presentation, taking advantage of all opportunities to improve upon both, and ensuring communication to the Executive Chef.
– Training and development of all kitchen employees.
– Strong and effective communication with all departments
– Ensure refrigerators and storerooms are organized and maintained in the various kitchen areas on a daily basis and that all food products are stored in accordance with provincial regulations.
– Supervise and participate in the production and plating of all food service areas, to maintain the best quality food style possible.
– Provide input for menus, creating, developing, and recommending recipes, for the use of other staff, to create a consistent and quality food product.
– Aid the Executive Chef in ordering and inventory of food products for the preparation and operation, of an efficiently run kitchen.
– Conduct yourself as the Executive Chef would in his/her absence, in accordance with his/her values and positive motivation tools.
– Ensure food is stored in appropriate containers, labeled, and rotated to ensure high standards of freshness, minimizing waste and maximizing quality.
– Aid the Executive Chef in creating, implementing, and maintaining department objectives and to ensure they are met and exceeded.
– Ensure that the morale of the kitchen staff is maintained by practicing positive strategies to motivate staff, encourage self-esteem and efficiency.
– Maintain the highest departmental standards as determined by the Executive Chef.
– High School Diploma or equivalent required.
– Minimum of 1 / 2 year/s experience in a Sous Chef position or higher in a high volume restaurant
– Minimum of 3 years’ combined experience in the trade of cook/ sous chef
– Knowledge of food handling and sanitation standards.
– Effective decision making skills.
– Strong problem solving skills.
– Ability to acquire and maintain relationships e.g., associates, customers, vendors.
– Strongly demonstrated creativity in all areas relating to food.
– Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
– Self motivated, with a positive attitude and a consistent display of professionalism.
– Innovative, detail oriented, and quality conscious.
– Ability to recognize, influences, and follow foodservice trends in preparation and presentation.
– Ability to endure abundant physical movements in carrying out job duties.
– This position will spend 100% of the time standing.
– Must be able to transport up to 50 pounds on occasion and up to 35 pounds regularly.
– Will be constantly exposed to high temperatures in the kitchen environment.
– Manual dexterity required to use knives and kitchen appliances.
– Overtime as required
“Newcomers, Youth, Student, Person with Disablities (PWD) and First Nations are welcome to apply”