- Alberta NationTalk
- Ontario NationTalk
- British Columbia NationTalk
- Atlantic NationTalk
- North of 60 NationTalk
- Manitoba NationTalk
- Quebec NationTalk
- Saskatchewan NationTalk
- Sand Box Site
Sr. Technical AMI Engineer
Sr. Technical AMI Engineer
Date: Jun 29, 2020
Location: Mississauga, ON, CA
Company: Hydro One Networks Inc
37662 – Mississauga – Regular – Ongoing
Hydro One is proud to be the largest electricity transmission and distribution provider in Ontario, serving nearly 1.4 million customers. We have a long history in the industry with our roots dating back over 110 years to 1906. Since then, we have worked to grow and evolve to meet the changing needs of our customers and communities across Ontario. Today, we’re focused on providing exceptional customer service and ensuring we are building safe communities where we live, work and play.
It’s an exciting time to join the team at Hydro One!
- Provide technical support of Advanced Metering Infrastructure (AMI) including meters, network equipment, wholesale revenue metering and power quality monitoring systems (PQMS) for all elements and voltage levels of the transmission system.
- Provide technical assistance to the field and Head Office on matters relating to design, commissioning and maintenance of AMI, wholesale revenue metering equipment and PQMS.
- Provide technical support on AMI, wholesale revenue metering equipment, both hardware and software.
- Evaluate new or revised AMI network products hardware and software.
- Perform studies to determine applicability and adaptability of network hardware products and software packages.
- Recommend new and review existing AMI and PQMS policies, work methods, standards, etc., recognizing opportunities for introduction of new technology, and recommend changes to improve efficiencies.
- With full understanding, contribute to the documentation and conceptualizing of integrated business processes and relate them to the information technology platforms which the business relies on to accomplish its work program.
- Produce or oversee the development of the communication requirements relating to a wide variety of business operations processes and related subjects making presentations to various audiences associated with the technical and operational processes affected.
- Perform a lead role overseeing strategic studies designed to determine applicability and adaptability of Network hardware products and software packages.
- Evaluate new or revised AMI network products hardware and software. Refer related recommendations to Supervisor.
- Maintain current knowledge of specific areas voice, video, LAN/WAN wired/wireless computer/network technologies associated with new or revised equipment vendor products, procedures or applications that may be available. Assist in the preparation of recommendations for changes to AMI network products and services.
- Liaise with suppliers of services and equipment.
- Monitor equipment performance and compliance with regulatory requirements, investigate problems, and initiate corrective action.
- Prepare/develop wholesale revenue metering specifications and evaluate tenders.
- Assist in developing annual work program and budget.
- Represent department on internal and external committees.
- Ensure that operation and maintenance requirements are met in standard designs.
- Maintain awareness on advancing technology and utilize such knowledge in assigned work areas.
- Initiate and administer programs to ensure adequate monitoring of wholesale revenue metering system performance.
- Exercise limited or periodic supervision over staff assigned to assist/contribute to specific studies or projects.
- Role will specialize primarily in the Lab Testing and Product Certifications area of the department, while providing support in other areas such as Network Equipment and Metering.
- Other duties as required.
- Demonstrated knowledge of AMI including Head-End Systems, network equipment, and meters.
- Demonstrated knowledge of various policies, procedures and standards that govern full commissioning maintenance and troubleshooting of wholesale revenue metering systems.
- Demonstrated knowledge of wholesale revenue metering systems as gained through engineering design or practical field experience.
- Demonstrated knowledge of AMI and PQMS data troubleshooting and analysis.
- Understanding of the characteristics of retail and wholesale revenue metering systems.
- Knowledge of regulatory requirements (e.g. MC, IESO) and Hydro One standards.
- Knowledge of product certification, new product integration, testing methodology, and field implementation and pilots.
- Knowledge of hardware design and maintenance is an asset.
- Demonstrated knowledge of retail and wholesale revenue metering systems and associated test equipment.
- Professional Electrical Engineer
- Field Experience with AMI, retail and wholesale metering systems.
- Experience in test development, safety, root cause analysis, and hardware troubleshooting.
- Six to eight years in the specification, manufacture, testing and maintenance of AMI, retail and wholesale revenue metering systems and PQMS.
- Good oral, written, and listening skills to represent the department with customers.
- Ability to formulate maintenance strategies.
- Ability to implement new technologies where economic to enhance designs.
- Ability to specify equipment for major projects and manage projects with manufacturers and field staff.
- Ability to analyze complex problems in wholesale revenue metering systems and implement solutions.
- Good interpersonal skills to be able to establish respect and rapport with (field) staff and project an air of assertiveness and confidence with consistency of approach.
- Ability to provide technical leadership and to provide training to new staff.
- Self-starter, capable of working with little supervision given only general direction.
At Hydro One we understand that the success and strength of our business rests with our people. When we develop their skills, we are investing in both their success and ours. To secure the best talent, we seek to create a workforce that reflects the diverse populations of the communities where we live and work and to create a culture based on safety, innovation and inclusiveness.
We are honoured to be recognized by Forbes in its list of Canada’s Best Employers for 2020.
Thank you for considering a career with Hydro One, we welcome applications from all qualified candidates. If you are having difficulty using our online application system and you need an accommodation due to a disability, please email email@example.com. Hydro One will provide reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities in the job application process.
Please note this email is only for accommodation requests. Resumes sent to this email address will not be considered.
Deadline: July 14, 2020
In the event you are experiencing difficulties applying to this job please consult our help page here.
This article comes from NationTalk:
The permalink for this story is: