Ministry of Forests Lands and Natural Resource Operations
Stand Management Leader and Data Custodian
Annual Salary: $72,918.55 to $91,074.62
As Resource Stewardship Division’s role evolves within the Natural Resource Sector (NRS) Transformation; the Resource Practices Branch (RPB) Stand Management Leader (SML) plays a critical role supporting the ongoing development and maintenance of critical linkages across the resource sector, both within and external to government.
The SML assesses government direction and guides the development of a scientifically based legislative and policy framework .As the ministry representative and provincial expert; the SML leads a team of professional staff in championing an overarching integrated silviculture framework and strategy that ensures critical linkages are maintained with key government initiatives. This includes linking silviculture strategies to timber supply reviews, timber objectives, climate change initiatives, wildfire planning, monitoring and cumulative effects.
Other key initiatives led by the SML include: proactively leading key negotiations and collaboration with senior industry technical staff to address priority issues ; identifying and promoting opportunities for expanded collaboration within the Division and across the natural resource sector in priority areas; silviculture surveys; monitoring performance data (e.g. RESULTS) and providing responses to trends to climate change, stocking standards and ensuring consistency with TSR as well as being the branch lead on climate change initiatives, working collaboratively across the Division to develop on the ground solutions.
The BC Public Service offers excellent benefits, including one of the best pension plans available, and a variety of opportunities for career learning and development. Regular, full time Professional Employee Association members are also entitled to 7% allowance in Lieu of Overtime Shiftwork and Standby (taken as time or money), have a 35 hour work week, and 4 weeks’ annual paid leave entitlement. To find out more, explore What the BC Public Service offers You
Qualifications for this role include:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Forestry, or other relevant area, or an educational equivalency recognized by the Association of BC Forest Professionals for Professional Forester registration, plus a minimum of 7 years of progressive, related
- Registered, or immediately eligible for registration, as a Professional Forester with the Association of BC Forest Professionals.
- BC Class 5 Driver’s Licence
- Travel is a requirement for this position.
Related experience includes the following:
- Experience allocating resources and administering significant budgets.
- Experience supervising staff or work teams.
- Experience managing multiple projects, ensuring resourcing, scheduling and quality/timely products.
For more information on this career opportunity including how to apply online by February 28th 2017, please visit: https://search.employment.gov.bc.ca/cgi-bin/a/highlightjob.cgi?jobid=38432