Scientific Technical Officer R18
An eligibility list may be established for future permanent and/or temporary vacancies.
A great opportunity to take the next step in your career
The Innovation and Adaptation Services Branch is one of three branches under the Business Development Division of the BC Ministry of Agriculture. The Branch works with the BC Agrifoods Sector to enhance the sector’s growth, competitiveness, and sustainability. It provides expertise and support for innovation, domestic and international marketing, management practices that promote agrifood systems that are environmentally sustainable and productive, and creating and maintaining a positive regulatory climate with local governments.
This position is part of the Strengthening Farming Unit which includes land use planning, GIS services, climate change adaptation, traceability programming, livestock premises identification, agricultural land use inventory, and emergency response.
The GIS Technician will provide technical support to staff and clients by creating digital, graphic and descriptive products through the use of Geographic Information Systems (GIS), Relational Database Management Systems (RDBMS), and a variety of other tools and applications. This position collaborates with a diverse team of GIS experts, agrologists, engineers and land use planners across several units and branches.
This is your opportunity to live in one of the most beautiful regions in British Columbia and work for the BC Public Service. We offer a healthy work/life balance, excellent benefits and much more.
The BC Public Service is committed to creating a diverse workplace to represent the population we serve and to better meet the needs of our citizens. Consider joining our team and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
For complete details about this opportunity, including accountabilities, please refer to the attached job profile. For specific position related enquiries, please contact Corrine.Roesler@gov.bc.ca . DO NOT SEND YOUR APPLICATION TO THIS EMAIL ADDRESS. For more information about how to complete your job application, add/edit your resume and for more useful tips when applying for jobs, please refer to the Your Job Application page on the MyHR website. If you are still experiencing technical difficulty applying for a competition, please send an e-mail to BCPSA.Hiring.Centre@gov.bc.ca , before the stated closing time, and we will respond as soon as possible to assist you.
NOTE: Applications will be accepted until 11:00 pm Pacific Standard Time on the closing date of the competition.
In order to be considered for this position, your application must clearly demonstrate how you meet the education and experience as outlined below:
- Technical Diploma in geographic information systems, Geomatics, or equivalent; OR
- Degree in resource management, GIS, geography, computer science or a related field and a Certificate in geographic information systems or equivalent.
- Experience capturing, converting, creating, editing and/or maintaining digital information in a GIS environment.
- Experience creating a variety of digital, geographical and/or descriptive products including thematic maps, terrain models and/or associated descriptive statistics.
- Preference may be given to applicants with any of the following:
- Working experience with Python, SQL, mobile technologies, and/or Web mapping applications.
- Working experience with Arc Pro and/or ArcGIS Online.
- Working experience with a wide variety of provincial economic, environmental and/or natural resource management data sets.
- Working experience using relational databases and/or using Microsoft Access.
- Valid BC Class 5 Drivers License or equivalent.
- Willingness to conduct field data collection which may include travel by vehicle with overnight or extended stay in government approved accommodations.
Applicants selected to move forward in the hiring process may be assessed on the Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Competencies as outlined in the attached Job Profile located in the Additional Information section at the bottom of the posting.
A Criminal Record Check (CRC) will be required.
Cover letter required: NO – Please do not submit a cover letter as it will not be reviewed.
Resume required: YES – Ensure your resume includes your educational accomplishments, employment history including start and end dates (month and year) of your employment, and any relevant information that relates to the job to which you are applying. A resume is required as part of your application, however, it may not be used for initial shortlisting purposes.
Questionnaire: YES (COMPREHENSIVE) – As part of the application process, you will be prompted to complete a comprehensive online questionnaire to demonstrate how you meet the job requirements. Please allot approximately 60 minutes to complete the questionnaire.
IMPORTANT: Comprehensive questionnaire responses will be used to shortlist applicants against the job requirements. Please ensure you include all relevant information about your educational accomplishments and employment history including job titles, start and end dates (month and year) of your employment, and your accountabilities and accomplishments.