Scientific/Technical Officer 18
An eligibility list may be established, for Squamish only.
For this opportunity, PLEASE DO NOT APPLY by submitting your profile/resume on the BC Government Hiring Centre website. Applications must be made via the directions stated below.
Consider this desirable opportunity as a step in the right direction to further your career in recreation management and work with a supportive team in BC’s outdoor recreation sector.
BC offers a host of exceptional recreation opportunities and you can be a member of the Recreation Sites and Trails team that works to manage and maintain BC’s backcountry recreation sites and trails. In this role, you will be responsible for supporting the management of a network of recreational facilities in the Sea-to-Sky Recreation district. The Recreation Technician regularly interacts with First Nations, and a variety of highly engaged stakeholders (e.g., community representatives, commercial tourism operators, recreation clubs, NGO’s, and government agencies) to participate in shared initiatives, respond to problems and issues, and to inform, educate and communicate the objectives and program goals of the Recreation Sites and Trails Branch.
Less than an hour from Vancouver, the Sea to Sky Recreation District is a unique fusion of rugged landscapes, stunning vistas and West Coast culture. The area’s unique mix of mountains and water has created a world-class destination for adventurers of all levels. Visitors to this recreation paradise can ride unbeatable mountain bike trails, hike in coastal rainforests, climb one of the world’s largest granite monoliths, kiteboard, windsurf, kayak, raft, fish, paddleboard and, depending on the season, snowshoe and ski tour into the backcountry. The position’s geographic base is in Squamish; however the district’s purview includes Whistler, Pemberton, Mount Curry and surrounding areas.
As the entry level position to, and an integral member on a District Recreation Sites and Trails team, the Recreation Technician will provide invaluable experience for individuals seeking a career in recreation management. Your strong interpersonal skills, high-energy enthusiasm will augment your technical and infrastructure management skills as you work to ensure public safety, minimize environmental risks, and represent the Province as a local leader in recreation site and trail operations. In order to succeed in this job you will need to be flexible and able to assess and re-assess your work priorities on a daily basis.
Your responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
- Establishing and maintaining relationships with recreation partners for efficient management of recreation sites and trails;
- Ensuring that service contracts are negotiated and effectively implemented;
- Conducting inspections at recreation sites and trails;
- Conducting field evaluations of new sites and trail proposals;
- Conducting inspections of new trail construction and ensuring conditions of authorization are met;
- Overseeing and providing technical advice regarding the construction and installation of various infrastructure, e.g., picnic tables, kiosks, boardwalks, foot bridges, trail design, technical trail features;
- Resolving public complaints, interacting and engaging with users at recreation sites and trails to help inform users of rules, ensure compliance with legislation and regulations, and reduce conflict between users; and
- Maintaining recreation information databases for use in statistical reports and public information systems.
The Recreation Technician plays a key role in ensuring that visitors are introduced to, and enjoy the natural beauty and grandeur of BC. Join the Recreation Sites and Trails team and welcome the challenges that come with working in BC’s exciting recreational environment. To learn more about Recreation Sites and Trails BC, please visit our RSTBC.
Applications will be accepted until 11:00 PM Pacific Time on the closing date.
HOW TO APPLY:
To apply to this competition you must complete the Applicant Questionnaire which is provided as an attachment to this posting notice Details for submission are clearly stated on Page 1 of the Applicant Questionnaire. You may choose to include a resume; however a resume, without an accompanying completed Applicant Questionnaire, will not be considered.
Do not click on the “Apply to this Job” link below.
Applicants must agree to completion of security screening requirements of the BC Public Service which may include a Criminal records check, and/or Criminal records Review Act (CCRA) check and/or enhanced screening checks as required by the Ministry.