Certification Standards Officer
Scientific Technical Officer Resource R21
An eligibility list may be established within the BC Timber Sales Strait of Georgia Business Area.
Applicants who do not fully meet the required qualifications may be considered for this position, but at a lower classification.
If this position interests you and you meet the required criteria, we look forward to your application.
BC Timber Sales (BCTS) plans, develops, and sells through auction, a substantial and representative portion of the Province’s annual available timber volume. The bid prices received from auctioned timber support the Market Pricing System (MPS) in setting stumpage rates for coastal and interior operating areas of the province. The costs incurred by BCTS also provide data for the Tenure Obligation Adjustments, contributing to another integral part of the MPS.
The goal of BCTS is to provide credible representative price and cost benchmark data for the MPS through auctions of public timber. BCTS has three objectives supporting its goal.
- Sell the full BCTS allowable apportionment over the business cycle, consistent with safe practices and sustainable forest management.
- Generate net direct revenue and indirect provincial government revenue over the business cycle.
- Pursue continuous business improvement within BCTS, across government, and with third party partners and customers.
To find out more about our program check out the BCTS website
The Certification Standards Officer (CSO) is responsible for the co-ordination, implementation, monitoring, and improvement of forest certification systems and safety across BCTS. The CSO must ensure the alignment of the BCTS program with provincial programs through the employment of leadership and influence skills. This position is the primary contact for internal and third party forest certification audits to evaluate adherence to and the performance of, prescribed standards and processes.
In addition to this exciting opportunity and amazing locations, the BC Public Service is an award winning employer in British Columbia, including such accolades as being one of BC’s Top Employers for 2016, one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers for 2016 and one of Canada’s Top Family-Friendly Employers in 2016. The BC Public Service offers a healthy work/life balance, excellent benefits, including one of the best pension plans available, and a variety of opportunities for career learning and development. To find out more, explore What the BC Public Service offers You.
A career path in BC Timber Sales offers exceptional opportunities to develop new solutions to complex problems, and to learn and grow personally and professionally. Existing and future BCTS employees have the opportunity to impact public and private forests, communities, the economy and the lives of British Columbians in positive and unique ways.
The BC Public Service is committed to creating a diverse workplace to represent the population we serve and to better meet the needs of our citizens. Consider joining our team and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
For complete details about this opportunity, including accountabilities, requirements and qualifications, please refer to the attached job profile. For specific position related enquiries, please contact Andrew.Riecker@gov.bc.ca. DO NOT SEND YOUR APPLICATION TO THIS EMAIL ADDRESS. For more information about how to complete your job application, add/edit your resume and for more useful tips when applying for jobs, please refer to the Your Job Application page on the MyHR website.
NOTE: Applications will be accepted until 11:00 pm Pacific Standard Time on the closing date of the competition.
In order to be considered for this position, your application must clearly demonstrate how you meet the education, experience and professional designation requirements as outlined below:
- Graduation from an approved technical institute with a diploma or a degree in resource or forestry management.
- Two years (within the last five years) of experience in one or more operational field-based forestry activities such as tenure development, road and block layout, silviculture, timber tenure administration and forestry contract administration.
- An equivalent combination of education or experience such as, or five years of experience in one or more operational field-based forestry activities such as tenure development, road and block layout, silviculture, timber tenure administration and forestry contract administration.
- Applicants must be registered or eligible for registration with the Association of British Columbia Forest Professionals (ABCFP) as a Registered Forest Technologist or equivalent.
- Experience with Environmental Management Systems, Sustainable Forest Management and Safety Certification Systems.
- Must possess at minimum a valid Class 5 B.C. Driver’s License that does not limit or restrict the ability to conduct the duties of the job.
- Must be willing and able to withstand the rigors of fieldwork.
- Must be willing to work in adverse weather conditions.
- Must be willing and able to travel to meet job requirements.
- Must be willing and able to travel in fixed and or rotary winged aircraft and or watercraft.
- Experience with auditing forest management activities and processes.
- Three years (within the last five years) of experience in one or more operational field-based forestry activities such as tenure development, road and block layout, silviculture, timber tenure administration and forestry contract administration.
Please include your registration number with the Association of BC Forest Professionals (ABCFP) within your application as you must be registered or immediately eligible for registration as a fully licensed Registered Forest Technologist (RFT) with the ABCFP. If you are not yet registered with the ABCFP, please explain how you are immediately eligible (i.e. currently a fully licensed RPF member in good standing in another Canadian jurisdiction and can immediately transfer to the ABCFP).
Applicants selected to move forward in the hiring process may be assessed on the Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Competencies as outlined in the attached Job Profile located in the Additional Information section at the bottom of the posting.
A Criminal Record Check (CRC) will be required.
Cover letter required: NO – Please do not submit a cover letter as it will not be reviewed. Please select “SKIP” on the cover letter screen to continue with your application.
Resume: YES – Ensure your resume includes your educational accomplishments, employment history including start and end dates (month and year) of your employment, and any relevant information that relates to the job to which you are applying.
Questionnaire – YES (COMPREHENSIVE) As part of the application process, you will be prompted to complete a comprehensive online questionnaire to demonstrate how you meet the job requirements. Please allot approximately 60 minutes to complete the questionnaire.
IMPORTANT: Comprehensive questionnaire responses will be used to shortlist applicants against the job requirements. Please ensure you include all relevant information about your educational accomplishments and employment history including job titles, start and end dates (month and year) of your employment, and your accountabilities and accomplishments.