Scientific Technical Officer 21
An eligibility list may be established..
Influence and engage in complex natural resource initiatives
In this position you will work on a team of GIS staff to conduct advanced spatial data analysis and provide geospatial products in support of government decision makers for a wide range of natural resource sector, land, and water projects.
Kamloops is mid-sized city of approximately 100,000 people that offers great urban amenities in close proximity to the outdoors. Surrounded by mountains, lakes and rivers, popular outdoor activities include hiking, mountain biking, fishing, paddling, skiing, snowmobiling, and ice-fishing. Kamloops has a very strong First Nations culture, and hosts a Pow-Wow every year.
The BC Public Service is an award winning employer and offers employees competitive benefits, amazing learning opportunities and a chance to engage in rewarding work with exciting career development opportunities. For more information, please see What We Offer.
For complete details about this opportunity, including accountabilities, please refer to the attached job profile. For specific position related enquiries, please contact Chris.Ens@gov.bc.ca. DO NOT SEND YOUR APPLICATION TO THIS EMAIL ADDRESS. For more information about how to create or update your profile and how to submit your application, please refer to the Job Application page on the MyHR website.
NOTE: Applications will be accepted until 11:00 pm Pacific Time on the closing date of the competition.
In order to be considered for this position, your application must clearly demonstrate how you meet the education and experience as outlined below:
- Undergraduate degree in Geographic Information Systems, resource management, geography, or computer science or a related field and a minimum of two year recent related experience; OR a Technical Diploma in computer science/programming or Geographic Information Systems and a minimum of four years recent related experience; OR the equivalent combination of training and experience may also be considered.
- Minimum of two years’ experience using ESRI ArcGIS 10.x for spatial analysis, cartography, and data management.
- Experience in automating GIS workflows using python scripting.
- Experience in managing and implementing geospatial projects, providing geospatial solutions, and delivering complex analysis projects in support of client’s business needs.
- Experience consulting or providing expert geospatial advice to non-technical people (clients, decision makers, technical and professional staff) and in ensuring the provision of technical products that meet the needs of natural resource clients and users.
Preference may be given to candidates with all or a combination of the following additional experience:
- Experience using ArcGIS Pro.
- Processing LiDAR or drone imagery; imagery interpretation and analysis.
- Experience using open source GIS software such as QGIS, SAGA, SELES, GRASS.
- Experience with relational databases and SQL scripting (including Oracle, MS Access)
- Experience supporting clients’ use of mobile devices (and custom form development in FileMaker Pro).
- Experience with FME.
- Experience with a wide variety of environmental and natural resource management data sets, particularly from BC.
- Valid BC Driver’s License or equivalent
- Willing to travel in reasonable conditions
Applicants selected to move forward in the hiring process may be assessed on the Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Competencies as outlined in the attached Job Profile located in the Additional Information section at the bottom of the posting.
A Criminal Record Check (CRC) will be required.
Cover Letter: NO – Please do not submit a cover, letter it will not be considered
Resume: YES – Ensure your resume includes your educational accomplishments, employment history including start and end dates (month and year) of your employment, and any relevant information that relates to the job to which you are applying.
Questionnaire – YES (COMPREHENSIVE) As part of the application process, you will be prompted to complete a comprehensive online questionnaire to demonstrate how you meet the job requirements. Please allot approximately 60 minutes to complete the questionnaire.
IMPORTANT: Comprehensive questionnaire responses will be used to shortlist applicants against the job requirements. Please ensure you include all relevant information about your educational accomplishments and employment history including job titles, start and end dates (month and year) of your employment, and your accountabilities and accomplishments.