Scientific/Technical Officer R21
An eligibility list may be established for future permanent and/or temporary vacancies.
Apply your specialized knowledge and skills in this challenging and rewarding role.
As the Geospatial Analyst, you will conduct advanced spatial data analysis in support of natural resource sector provincial agencies on resource management and stewardship. The geospatial services you provide forms the core of the evidence-informed expert advice for delivering timely and durable decisions on the land base for the South Coast Region, that address both economic prosperity and environmental sustainability.
You will be familiar with using ESRI’s suite of GIS software including ArcGIS Desktop and ArcGIS Online. The ability to automate analyses using Python and/or Model Builder is essential. Your resume and questionnaire responses should show your experience performing spatial overlays, queries, analyses and statistical summaries.
The projects and programs you will support may include identifying critical wildlife habitats and old growth management areas, analyzing resource values and impacts, supporting natural resource authorization projects, consulting with First Nations and other stakeholders, responding to emergency events such as flood and wildfires, and developing web mapping and mobile geospatial solutions.
The BC Public Service is an award winning employer and offers employees competitive benefits, amazing learning opportunities and a chance to engage in rewarding work with exciting career development opportunities. For more information, please see What We Offer.
The BC Public Service is committed to creating a diverse workplace to represent the population we serve and to better meet the needs of our citizens. Consider joining our team and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
For complete details about this opportunity, including accountabilities, please refer to the attached job profile. For specific position related enquiries, please contact Joshua.Chan@gov.bc.ca. DO NOT SEND YOUR APPLICATION TO THIS EMAIL ADDRESS. For more information about how to complete your job application, add/edit your resume and for more useful tips when applying for jobs, please refer to the Your Job Application page on the MyHR website. If you are still experiencing technical difficulty applying for a competition, please send an e-mail to BCPSA.Hiring.Centre@gov.bc.ca, before the stated closing time, and we will respond as soon as possible to assist you.
NOTE: Applications will be accepted until 11:00 pm Pacific Standard Time on the closing date of the competition.
In order to be considered for this position, your application must clearly demonstrate how you meet the education and experience as outlined below:
- Diploma or higher in Geographic Information System or in a natural resource related discipline (e.g. Geography, Forestry, Mining) plus six months related experience; OR,
- An equivalent combination of education, experience, and training may be considered.
- Minimum one year of experience with ArcGIS.
Related experience must include:
- Experience in developing and running geospatial analyses including, but not limited to, spatial overlays and tabular summaries.
- Experience using Python and/or Model Builder.
- Experience creating web mapping applications including, but not limited to, dashboards and story maps using various platforms (e.g. ArcGIS Online).
- Experience working with clients to interpret business problems and find solutions using geospatial technology and products.
- Experience developing and managing large spatial and attribute data sets.
Preference may be given to applicants with:
- Degree or higher in Geographic Information System or in a natural resource related discipline (e.g. Geography, Forestry, Mining).
- Completed ArcGIS Pro training
- Experience building spatial mobile solutions.
Applicants selected to move forward in the hiring process may be assessed on the Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Competencies as outlined in the attached Job Profile located in the Additional Information section at the bottom of the posting.
CRC – A Criminal Record Check (CRC) will be required.
Cover letter required: YES – A cover letter is required as part of your application. The content and/or format of your cover letter may be evaluated as part of the assessment process.
Resume required: YES – A resume is required as part of your application, however, it may not be used for initial shortlisting purposes.
Questionnaire: YES (COMPREHENSIVE) – As part of the application process, you will be prompted to complete a comprehensive online questionnaire to demonstrate how you meet the job requirements. Please allot approximately 60 minutes to complete the questionnaire.
IMPORTANT: Comprehensive questionnaire responses will be used to shortlist applicants against the job requirements. Please ensure you include all relevant information about your educational accomplishments and employment history including job titles, start and end dates (month and year) of your employment, and your accountabilities and accomplishments.