Scientific Technical Officer R21
An eligibility list may be established for similar vacancies within the Cranbrook Business Area.
Applicants who do not fully meet the qualifications may be considered for this position, but at a lower classification
Bring your forestry operations experience to this exciting opportunity. This is a rewarding opportunity exists for an experienced forest technologist in the community of Cranbrook, BC.
If you are interested in working Forestry Operations in Multiphase contracts, Appraisals and Timber Sale Licence Development, submit your application today.
BC Timber Sales (BCTS) plans, develops, and sells through auction, a substantial and representative portion of the Province’s annual available timber volume. The bid prices received from auctioned timber support the Market Pricing System (MPS) in setting stumpage rates for coastal and interior operating areas of the province. The costs incurred by BCTS also provide data for the Tenure Obligation Adjustments, contributing to another integral part of the MPS.
The goal of BCTS is to provide credible representative price and cost benchmark data for the MPS through auctions of public timber. BCTS has three objectives supporting its goal.
- Sell the full BCTS allowable apportionment over the business cycle, consistent with safe practices and sustainable forest management.
- Generate net direct revenue and indirect provincial government revenue over the business cycle.
- Pursue continuous business improvement within BCTS, across government, and with third party partners and customers.
To find out more about our program check out the BCTS website
The Operations Technologist is responsible for developing operating standards, implementing new forest management practices, coordinating technical activities, monitoring adherence to legislative, environmental standards and providing technical expertise to staff in Timber Sales License (TSL) development, operations, silviculture, and forest health (FH) activities. This opportunity will focus largely on Multiphase Contracts, Appraisals, and Timber Sale Licence Development duties.
The BC Public Service encourages a healthy work/life balance that enables you to take advantage of the community and surrounding area in which you live. Cranbrook, situated in the middle of the broad Rocky Mountain Trench, boasts more sunshine than anywhere else in British Columbia. The City and surrounding area is renowned for its recreational and cultural opportunities, including camping, hiking, cycling, mountain biking, fishing, hunting, alpine skiing, cross-country skiing, golfing, festivals and other local tourist attractions. To learn more about this community, please access the web link provided above.
A career path in BC Timber Sales offers exceptional opportunities to develop new solutions to complex problems, and to learn and grow personally and professionally. Existing and future BCTS employees have the opportunity to impact public and private forests, communities, the economy and the lives of British Columbians in positive and unique ways.
For complete details about this opportunity, including accountabilities, requirements and qualifications, please refer to the attached job profile.
For specific position related enquiries, please contact Steve.Knowles@gov.bc.ca DO NOT SEND YOUR APPLICATION TO THIS EMAIL ADDRESS. For technical difficulties submitting your online profile, or for more information about how to create or update your profile, please refer to the “HOW TO APPLY” section below.
NOTE: Applications will be accepted until 11:00 pm Pacific Standard Time on the closing date of the competition.
In order to be considered for this position, your application must clearly demonstrate how you meet the education, experience and professional designation requirement as outlined below:
- Graduation from an approved technical institute with a diploma or degree in resource or forestry management.
- Two years (gained within the last five years) of experience in one or more operational field-based forestry activities such as tenure development, road and block layout, silviculture, timber tenure administration and forestry contract administration.
- Or an equivalent combination of education or experience such as, or five years (gained within the last seven years) of experience in one or more operational field-based forestry activities such as tenure development, road and block layout, silviculture, timber tenure administration and forestry contract administration.
- Applicants must be registered or eligible for registration with the Association of British Columbia Forest Professionals (ABCFP) as a Registered Forest Technologist or equivalent.
- Must possess at minimum a valid Class 5 B.C. Driver’s License that does not limit or restrict the ability to conduct the duties of the job.
- Preference may be given to applicants with three years (gained within the last five years) of experience with specific forestry experience in one or more operational field-based forestry activities (such as tenure development, road and block layout, silviculture, timber tenure administration or forestry contract administration.
• Must be willing and able to withstand the rigors of fieldwork.
• Must be willing to work in adverse weather conditions.
• Must be willing and able to travel to meet job requirements.
• Must be willing and able to travel in fixed and or rotary winged aircraft and or watercraft.
Please include your registration number with the Association of BC Forest Professionals (ABCFP) within your application as you must be registered or immediately eligible for registration as a fully licensed Registered Forest Technologist (RFT) with the ABCFP. If you are not yet registered with the ABCFP, please explain how you are immediately eligible (i.e. currently a fully licensed RPF member in good standing in another Canadian jurisdiction and can immediately transfer to the ABCFP).
Applicants selected to move forward in the hiring process may be assessed on the Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Competencies as outlined in the attached Job Profile.
Cover letter required: NO – Please do not submit a cover letter as it will not be reviewed. Please select “SKIP” on the cover letter screen to continue with your application.
Resume: YES – Ensure your resume includes your educational accomplishments, employment history including start and end dates (month and year) of your employment, and any relevant information that relates to the job to which you are applying.
Questionnaire – YES (COMPREHENSIVE) As part of the application process, you will be prompted to complete a comprehensive online questionnaire to demonstrate how you meet the job requirements. Please allot approximately 60 minutes to complete the questionnaire.
IMPORTANT: Comprehensive questionnaire responses will be used to shortlist applicants against the job requirements. Please ensure you include all relevant information about your educational accomplishments and employment history including job titles, start and end dates (month and year) of your employment, and your accountabilities and accomplishments.