Dam Safety Officer
Scientific/Technical Officer R24
1 position is available in Fort. St. John or Prince George.
An eligibility list may be established.
This position is also posted as an LSO under Requisition 58661
Bring your operational expertise to this unique opportunity
The Provincial Dam Safety Program operates under a distributed organizational model with staff in Water Management Branch, Resource Stewardship Division and each of the three regional Area’s (Coast, North and South) reporting through their own organizational structures while working as a team to meet ministry and dam safety program objectives. Staff in this program have regulatory oversight of approximately 1900 dams across the province, many of which are high profile, high risk and high cost. The program is coordinated through the Water Management Branch with both Victoria and regional dam safety staff having program accountabilities.
Working in a regional operations setting, this position provides specialist professional services in dam safety for an entire region (or area in the case of the North) focusing on a combination of investigative, extension and regulatory functions for a portfolio of up to 500 dams, generally <9m in height. This position may exercise the powers and authorities of both an Assistant Water Manager and a Dam Safety Officer under the Water Sustainability Act, Dam Safety Regulation and provides leadership, support, research and professional expertise and judgment in the field of dam safety for their region, other staff in the Provincial Dam Safety Program and for the Ministry.
The BC Public Service is an award winning employer and offers employees competitive benefits, amazing learning opportunities and a chance to engage in rewarding work with exciting career development opportunities. For more information, please see What We Offer.
To learn more about these B.C communities you can click on the Hello BC link here!
The BC Public Service is committed to creating a diverse workplace to represent the population we serve and to better meet the needs of our citizens. Consider joining our team and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
The BC Public Service is an inclusive and accessible employer. Please advise the hiring manager if any accommodations are required to assist you to ensure equitable participation.
For complete details about this opportunity, including accountabilities, please refer to the attached job profile. For specific position related enquiries, please contact Robert.Piccini@gov.bc.ca. DO NOT SEND YOUR APPLICATION TO THIS EMAIL ADDRESS. For more information about how to complete your job application, add/edit your resume and for more useful tips when applying for jobs, please refer to the Your Job Application page on the MyHR website. If you are still experiencing technical difficulty applying for a competition, please send an e-mail to BCPSA.Hiring.Centre@gov.bc.ca, before the stated closing time, and we will respond as soon as possible to assist you.
NOTE: Applications will be accepted until 11:00 pm Pacific Standard Time on the closing date of the competition.
In order to be considered for this position, your application must clearly demonstrate how you meet the education and experience as outlined below:
- Bachelor’s degree in science with specialization in earth sciences, hydrology, hydraulics or related subject areas; OR
- Master’s degree in a related field as described above; OR
- Post-secondary technical diploma in civil or geotechnical engineering; OR
- An equivalent combination of education, experience and/or training; AND
- Must be eligible for designation as a Dam Safety Officer under the Water Sustainability Act and complete required in-house Dam Safety Program training to gain the Dam Safety Officer designation and undertake and maintain Dam Safety Officer accountabilities and ongoing training to retain the designation.
- Experience providing professional expertise, advice and recommendations to other professionals, senior management, dam owners and the public particularly with respect to dam safety.
- Experience with critical review of licensed professional reports, plans, drawings, and project proposals.
- Experience in contract management of engineering works including enforcing contract specifications and dealing directly with construction contractors is preferred.
- Must possess and maintain a valid Class 5 B.C. driver’s licence and have the ability to maintain and operate a 4-wheel drive in all types of driving conditions both on and off road.
- Must meet safety standards of Work Safe BC and have knowledge of outdoor survival requirements (first aid, avalanche safety, animal encounter strategies), be physically able to lift small equipment and be able to traverse rough terrain.
- Willing to be available 24/7 to respond to emergencies to perform a variety of duties within the scope of the position’s regular responsibilities and available on evening and weekends to represent the Ministry at public meetings and events.
- Willing to travel throughout the province and conduct field work which may include travel to remote areas by vehicle, boat, air or foot, overnight or extended stay in rough camp conditions and outdoor work in all weather conditions.
- Willing to communicate directly with uncooperative stakeholders and negotiate requirements of work to be completed with high degree of tact, judgment and initiative.
Applicants selected to move forward in the hiring process may be assessed on the Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Competencies as outlined in the attached Job Profile located in the Additional Information section at the bottom of the posting.
A Criminal Record Check (CRC) will be required.
Cover Letter: YES – A cover letter is required as part of your application. The content and/or format of your cover letter may be evaluated as part of the assessment process.
Resume: YES – Ensure your resume includes your educational accomplishments, employment history including start and end dates (month and year) of your employment, and any relevant information that relates to the job to which you are applying.
Questionnaire: YES – You will be required to answer a standard questionnaire.