Crop Risk Specialist
Scientific Technical Officer R27
This position is also posted as an LSO under REQ 65557. https://bcpublicservice.hua.hrsmart.com/hr/ats/Posting/view/65557
An eligibility list may be established.
A great opportunity to take the next step in your career
The Business Risk Management Branch (BRMB) provides agricultural risk management services to help farmers and farm organizations proactively manage uncertainty through production insurance, income stabilization and wildlife damage compensation programs. These programs are funded through the Canadian Agricultural Partnership Agreement between the provinces and Canada. This Agreement ensures the provinces to fund and deliver the suite of BRM programs which include: AgriInsurance (Production Insurance); AgriStability; AgriRisk; AgriInvest; AgriRecovery and Agricultural Wildlife Damage Compensation. The suite of programs helps viable farming operations protect themselves from severe financial losses due to weather perils and market conditions.
The Crop Risk Specialist, works independently within the terms, objectives, plans, policies and procedures of the Provincial and Federal Governments, the Ministry and the scientific principles and practices of agronomy and horticulture to analyze current and new agronomic practices and test pilot projects for the high profile Production Insurance and risk management programs. These programs are a result of policies and purposes that are in a constant state of flux due to new or revised federal and provincial initiatives. The Crop Risk Specialist provides professional, technical expertise, correlation and standards experience and guidance for production insurance product design, development, testing, delivery and maintenance.
The BC Public Service is an award winning employer and offers employees competitive benefits, amazing learning opportunities and a chance to engage in rewarding work with exciting career development opportunities. For more information, please see What We Offer.
The BC Public Service is committed to creating a diverse workplace to represent the population we serve and to better meet the needs of our citizens. Consider joining our team and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
For complete details about this opportunity, including accountabilities, please refer to the attached job profile. For specific position related enquiries, please contact Rebecca.Smith@gov.bc.ca . DO NOT SEND YOUR APPLICATION TO THIS EMAIL ADDRESS. For more information about how to create or update your profile and how to submit your application, please refer to the Job Application page on the MyHR website. If you are still experiencing technical difficulty applying for a competition, please send an e-mail to BCPSA.Hiring.Centre@gov.bc.ca , before the stated closing time, and we will respond as soon as possible to assist you.
NOTE: Applications will be accepted until 11:00 pm Pacific Time on the closing date of the competition.
In order to be considered for this position, your application must clearly demonstrate how you meet the education and experience as outlined below:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Agriculture, Business or Economics or a related field; AND
- 5 years’ experience in agriculture industry analysis with a focus on financial and/or production parameters for commodities common to B.C.; OR
- Master’s degree in Agriculture, Business or Economics or a related field; AND
- 3 years’ experience in agriculture industry analysis with a focus on financial and/or production parameters for commodities common to B.C.; OR
- Secondary school graduation or equivalent or a Diploma in Agriculture, Business or Economics or a related field; AND
- 7 years’ experience in agriculture industry analysis with a focus on financial and production parameters for commodities common to B.C.
- Minimum of three (3) years of experience in the discipline of agronomy or related to primary agriculture production.
- Minimum of two (2) years of recent (within the last 10 years) experience supervising technical and/or administrative staff in a direct reporting relationship, including performance management.
Preference May be given to Applicants with any of the following:
- More than 3 years’ experience in the discipline of Agronomy or related primary agriculture production.
- Direct Management experience in the Berry and/or Vegetable Industry.
Provisos / other job requirements:
- Valid B.C. driver’s licence or equivalent.
- Meet safety standards of Work Safe B.C.
- May be required to operate a variety of equipment.
- Conduct field work which may include travel to remote areas by vehicle, boat, air or foot, overnight or extended stay in rough camp conditions and outdoor work in all weather conditions.
Applicants selected to move forward in the hiring process may be assessed on the Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Competencies as outlined in the attached Job Profile located in the Additional Information section at the bottom of the posting.
A Criminal Record Check (CRC) will be required.
Cover Letter: YES – A cover letter is required as part of your application. The content and/or format of your cover letter may be evaluated as part of the assessment process.
Resume: YES – Ensure your resume includes your educational accomplishments, employment history including start and end dates (month and year) of your employment, and any relevant information that relates to the job to which you are applying.
Questionnaire: YES – You will be required to answer a standard questionnaire.