Senior Authorizations Specialist
Scientific Technical Officer R27
An eligibility list may be established.
This is also posted as a Licensed Science Officer 3 under 57208
Influence and engage in complex natural resource initiatives
Do you like to challenge yourself and are you thriving in a fast-paced, ever changing work environment? Do you have a positive attitude and a commitment to the BC public service values, and are you driven to get the job done? Then look no further: the Senior Authorizations Specialist is the opportunity you have been waiting for to apply your considerable experience and expertise in natural resource management to complex Crown land applications and decisions.
British Columbia’s oldest interior community, Fort St. John is perfect for scenic drives, hiking, fishing, and camping, as it sits alongside the Peace River. Hiking is particularly nice in the surrounding provincial parks of Beatton Provincial Park and Charlie Lake Provincial park, where camping is also available. Its gentle rolling hills are perfect for cross-country skiing and snowmobiling in the winter months.
With over 200 different occupations available in 280 communities across the province, we offer exciting opportunities for your career. Come be a part of the BC Public Service, a Top 100 Employer that embraces diversity, health and career growth. For more information, please see What We Offer.
The BC Public Service is committed to creating a diverse workplace to represent the population we serve and to better meet the needs of our citizens. Consider joining our team and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
For complete details about this opportunity, including accountabilities, please refer to the attached job profile. For specific position related enquiries, please contact Maureen.Tait@gov.bc.ca. DO NOT SEND YOUR APPLICATION TO THIS EMAIL ADDRESS. For more information about how to complete your job application, add/edit your resume and for more useful tips when applying for jobs, please refer to the Your Job Application page on the MyHR website. If you are still experiencing technical difficulty applying for a competition, please send an e-mail to BCPSA.Hiring.Centre@gov.bc.ca, before the stated closing time, and we will respond as soon as possible to assist you.
NOTE: Applications will be accepted until 11:00 pm Pacific Standard Time on the closing date of the competition.
In order to be considered for this position, your application must clearly demonstrate how you meet the education and experience as outlined below:
- Degree in a natural resource field, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
EXPERIENCE IN NATURAL RESOURCE MANAGEMENT MUST INCLUDE:
- Experience making or supporting natural resource management recommendations and/or decisions involving multidisciplinary issues.
- Experience working with diverse stakeholders, often with opposing views, and resolving conflict.
- Experience in preparation of briefing and presentation materials, demonstrating excellent oral and written communication skills.
Preference may be given to Candidates with the following:
- Experience supervising, leading, coaching and mentoring staff.
- Experience with Crown Land Authorizations and the Land Act.
- Experience with land title conveyancing, interpreting land surveys, real estate appraisal and administration of real estate interests.
- Experience in leading and successfully completing First Nations consultation, including consultation on proposals which received opposition by First Nations.
- Experience evaluating natural resource applications and reviewing proposals.
- Experience with BC Laws governing natural resource management.
PROVISOS / WILLINGNESS STATEMENTS:
- Must have and maintain a valid Class 5 B.C. driver’s licence.
- Must meet safety standards of Work Safe BC.
- May be required to operate a variety of equipment.
- Conduct field work which may include travel to remote areas by vehicle, boat, air or foot, overnight or extended stay in rough camp conditions and outdoor work in all weather conditions.
Applicants selected to move forward in the hiring process may be assessed on the Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Competencies as outlined in the attached Job Profile located in the Additional Information section at the bottom of the posting.
A Criminal Record Check (CRC) will be required.
Cover letter required: NO – Please do not submit a cover letter as it will not be reviewed.
Resume required: YES – A resume is required as part of your application, however, it may not be used for initial shortlisting purposes.
Questionnaire: YES (COMPREHENSIVE) – As part of the application process, you will be prompted to complete a comprehensive online questionnaire to demonstrate how you meet the job requirements. Please allot approximately 60 minutes to complete the questionnaire.
IMPORTANT: Comprehensive questionnaire responses will be used to shortlist applicants against the job requirements. Please ensure you include all relevant information about your educational accomplishments and employment history including job titles, start and end dates (month and year) of your employment, and your accountabilities and accomplishments.