Fish Research Technician
Scientific Technical Officer R15 – Resource
One (1) part-time position available, working If and As When Needed
Annual work requirements typically total a minimum of 50% of full-time distributed throughout the year
This position is located in Nelson, BC
An eligibility list may be established for future permanent and/or temporary opportunities
If this position interests you and you meet the required criteria, we look forward to your application
This position provides technologist services in the natural resource sector. The job duties of this position are primarily related to managing daily operation and maintenance of two regional kokanee spawning channels throughout the year, although there are periodically other technical fisheries opportunities in the region.
Located in the heart of the Selkirk Mountains, Nelson is home to a large variety of outdoor activities, and its proximity to Whitewater Ski Resort allows for skiers of all levels to test out the Nelson powder. Nelson also hosts events all year long, such as the Cottonwood Farmers Market and the Shambhala Music Festival.
With over 200 different occupations available in 280 communities across the province, we offer exciting opportunities for your career. Come be a part of the BC Public Service, a Top 100 Employer that embraces diversity, health and career growth. For more information, please see What We Offer.
For complete details about this opportunity, including accountabilities, please refer to the attached job profile. For specific position related enquiries, please contact Matt.Neufeld@gov.bc.ca. DO NOT SEND YOUR APPLICATION TO THIS EMAIL ADDRESS. For more information about how to complete your job application, add/edit your resume and for more useful tips when applying for jobs, please refer to the Your Job Application page on the MyHR website. If you are still experiencing technical difficulty applying for a competition, please send an e-mail to BCPSA.Hiring.Centre@gov.bc.ca, before the stated closing time, and we will respond as soon as possible to assist you.
NOTE: Applications will be accepted until 11:00 pm Pacific Standard Time on the closing date of the competition.
In order to be considered for this position, your application must clearly demonstrate how you meet the education and experience as outlined below:
- Diploma (or higher) OR equivalent in the natural resource field.
- Experience performing technical duties that support natural resource management.
Preference may be given to applicants with the following:
- Experience interpreting the BC Sports fishing regulations (knowledge of acts, etc.)
- Experience working with Kokanee life history and Kokanee sampling methods.
- Experience with small boat operation.
- Valid BC Class 5 driver’s licence.
- Meet safety standards of Work Safe BC.
- May be required to operate a variety of equipment.
- Conduct field work which may include travel to remote areas by vehicle, boat, air or foot, overnight or extended stay in rough camp conditions and outdoor work in all weather conditions.
- Carry equipment and supplies in difficult terrain.
- Successful completion of security screening requirements of the BC Public Service, which may include a criminal records check, and/or Criminal Records Review Act (CRRA) check, and/or enhanced security screening checks as required by the ministry (Note: It is important that you read the job posting carefully to understand the specific security screening requirements pertaining to the position).
Applicants selected to move forward in the hiring process may be assessed on the Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Competencies as outlined in the attached Job Profile located in the Additional Information section at the bottom of the posting.
A Criminal Record Check (CRC) will be required.
Cover Letter: NO – Please do not submit a cover letter as it will not be reviewed.
Resume required: YES – Ensure your resume includes your educational accomplishments, employment history including start and end dates (month and year) of your employment, and any relevant information that relates to the job to which you are applying.
Online Questionnaire: YES – As part of the application process, you will be prompted to complete an online questionnaire to demonstrate how you meet the job requirements.