(3) Summer Student Positions
About the Organization: AFOA Canada was founded as a not-for-profit association in 1999 to help Aboriginal people better manage and govern their communities and organizations through a focus on enhancing finance and management practices and skills. AFOA’s premise is that effective management is key to building social and economic prosperity and essential to successful Aboriginal governance. With over 1,500 members, the Association has evolved into one of the most respected non-political Aboriginal organizations in Canada and internationally, with a reputation for success, a high standard of excellence and a visible commitment to contributing to Aboriginal prosperity and helping create a better quality of life.
Description: AFOA Canada is seeking energetic post-secondary students to provide administrative support as a
(1) Communication Assistant, (1) Education Assistant, or (1) Admin Assistant during the summer months.
Who Can Apply: Post-secondary students with Aboriginal ancestry are encouraged to apply. Students must be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment and have been registered as full-time students in the previous academic year and intend to return to school on a full-time basis in the next academic year. Proof of enrolment must be provided. Students must be Canadian citizens and eligible to work in Canada. Ideally, the student should have some experience working in a professional office environment with a strong client service focus. Other requirements include:
- Experience with office applications (ie, Microsoft Word) and some experience with databases as well other software programs including working knowledge of the Internet;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Assist in research to enhance education products as required;
- Attention to detail, thoroughness, and effective organizational skills are essential to the position;
- French proficiency and/or a working knowledge of an Aboriginal language would be considered an asset; and
- Must be capable of taking direction and able to work as part of a team.
Personal Characteristics: Reliability, strong organizational skills, good judgement, tact, strong interpersonal skills, and willingness to be a team player and ability to multi-task in a very dynamic work environment.
Salary: Based upon level of completion for undergraduate and graduate school
Employment Start/End Date: July 3 to August 18, 2017 (8 weeks)
This employment is a part of the Service Canada summer employment program.
Location: AFOA Canada, Ottawa, Ontario
Closing Date: Friday, June 23, 2017 (12:00PM – local time)
Students who feel they are qualified are invited to submit a covering letter along with a current resume and three (3) references. For any questions or concerns, please forward an email to email@example.com.
1066 Somerset Street West, Suite 301
Ottawa, Ontario K1Y 4T3
Fax (613) 722-3467 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Interviews will be held in Ottawa. AFOA will not cover travel costs. Only those applications selected for an interview will be contacted. AFOA Canada reserves the right to cancel or amend job advertisements without notice.