As part of the Health Communications group the Supervisor, Digital Communications PH leads a team of marketing and social media specialists providing a wide range of content and creative services in support of Toronto Public Health communications objectives. The Supervisor, Digital Communications PH is responsible for developing and implementing TPH’s overarching digital strategy, and delivering innovative digital marketing and social media campaigns.
- Oversees the day-to-day management, editing and updating of TPH’s digital assets, including the corporate website, blogs and social media channels.
- Leads the day-to-day implementation of divisional digital communications strategy including discussions and decision-making.
- Develops policies and procedures to support web content, social media and communications applications.
- Assesses informational needs of internal and end-user clients, through consultation and developing solutions.
- Coordinates implementation, delivery and sustainment of the Web Content Management Solution within Toronto Public Health, including workflow functionality.
- Develops and manages content libraries including design assets in the form of text, photography, graphics, video, audio, illustrations and training materials accessible to internal and external users.
- Works with internal clients to help define scope and recommended approach for major digital marketing and social media projects.
- Ensures delivery of customer service to maintain client satisfaction and identify resource needs to close gaps in deliverables as well as pursue relevant new or emerging opportunities.
- Plays an advisory role in client engagement, serving as a digital/social media strategic advisor.
- Serves as thought leader in aligning digital and social media marketing strategy with a client’s business goals and objectives.
- Drives high-level discussions on the role of social media within the marketing of health messages by participating in public forums, partner and other government consultations.
- Works with clients to provide social media marketing solutions and assist with the development of frameworks and methodologies for approaching social media measurement within Toronto Public Health.
- Identifies, recommends, coordinates and consults on the implementation of appropriate technologies to support the digital function.
- Works with the Health Communications team and program area content leads/subject matter experts to deliver health communications web content (internal and external clients) in all formats, to accurately represent program information, maintain knowledge exchange and identify performance gaps as well as new or emerging needs.
- Supervises, motivates and trains assigned staff, ensuring effective teamwork, high standards of work quality and organizational performance, continuous learning and encourages innovation in others.
- Supervises the day to day operation of all assigned staff including the scheduling, assigning and reviewing of work. Authorizes and coordinates vacation and overtime requests. Monitors and evaluates staff performance, approves salary increments, hears grievances and recommends disciplinary action when necessary.
- Anticipates and identifies relevant business issues and operating procedures as they correspond to priorities in the health communications workplan.
- Provides input into and administers assigned budget, ensuring that expenditures are controlled and maintained within approved budget limitations.
- Works with the Manager of Health Communications to liaise with other City divisions and corporate groups focused on messaging and branding to represent and protect the best interests of Toronto Public Health.
- Works with Toronto Public Health teams and other communications staff to ensure that the appropriate digital opportunities are reflected in communications plans and coordinates the delivery of those services as communications initiatives are implemented.
- Contributes to development of training and mentoring initiatives supporting digital health communications activities.
- Works with Toronto Health Connection and intake to ensure that staff are readily updated on new campaigns, services and events.
- Extensive experience in developing, implementing and coordinating diverse, high-level digital communications strategies, in an environment with high-profile issues and multiple delivery agents.
- Post-graduate certificate or degree in communications, public relations, digital marketing and/or social media.
- Supervisory experience in the digital communications and design field combined with a strong ability in supervising, leading, developing, motivating and training team to produce innovative material and strategies.
- Experience in dealing with senior management or political staff on sensitive or confidential issues.
- Experience and success in project management involving the implementation and sustainment of web related IT, digital applications, methodologies, procedures and standards.
- Well-developed human and public relations skills – proven ability to communicate effectively with all management levels and with the media; superior oral and written communication skills.
- Organizing and delivering communications resources to achieve departmental and corporate objectives.
- Strategic planning, problem solving and negotiation skills.
- Superior creative, conceptual and technical skills and ability to apply the principles of new media technologies to support and enhance a wide variety of communications initiatives.
- Results-oriented, energetic, motivated individual with a commitment to leadership and excelling in a cross-functional directorate.
- Superior administration, organization and multi-tasking skills with the ability to develop and manage project special budgets.
- Good knowledge of municipal governance policies and familiarity with relevant government legislation including Occupational Health and Safety, Access and Equity, Ethics).
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set-up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto’s Accommodation Policy, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the City’s hiring process.
If you are invited to participate in an assessment process, kindly provide your accommodation needs in advance. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process, please email us at email@example.com, quoting the job ID #2263423 and the job classification title.