Please note salary listed is 2016 rate
- Implements detailed plans and recommends policies/procedures regarding program specific requirements with respect to financial accounting, accounts payable and purchasing.
- Supervises, motivates and trains assigned staff, ensuring effective teamwork, high standards of work quality and organizational performance, continuous learning and encourages innovation in others.
- Supervises the day to day operation of all assigned staff including the scheduling, assigning and reviewing of work. Authorizes and co-ordinates vacation and overtime requests. Monitors and evaluates staff performance, recommends salary increments, hears grievances and recommends disciplinary action when necessary.
- Provides input into and administers assigned budget, ensuring that expenditures are controlled and maintained within approved budget limitations.
- Develops key performance indicators, monitors and evaluates performance levels.
- Handles labour relations issues, recommends salary increments, and manages the attendance management program.
- Provides support to the divisions on invoice payment issues and liaises with Accounting Services Accounts Payable, vendors and staff.
- Provides support in expediting the payables process, ensures vendor satisfaction and realizes cash discounts and manages the cash custodial function.
- Coordinates and participates in Accounting Services Accounts Payable Initiatives, for example, 3-Way Match, Vendor Direct Billing and Purchasing Cards.
- Assists the Manager, Financial Services, with the review, evaluation and development of Accounts Payable and Purchasing policies and procedures for the Cluster B divisions.
- Provides training and support to the divisions on the City’s Financial Accounting Module.
- Liaises with Accounting Services and PMMD on Accounting, Accounts Payable, Financial Reporting and Purchasing issues.
- Develops policies and procedures from an Internal Control perspective, for example, segregation of incompatible functions.
- Provides information to the City’s Auditor General and External and Internal auditors with respect to divisional systems, policies and procedures for their review.
- Participates in investigations relating to fraudulent activities and ensures staff is aware of the fraud and conflict of interest policy and procedures.
- Provides internal control assistance to the divisions with a view to safeguard City assets.
- Prepares custom reports and statistical reports for Senior Management’s review.
- Provides purchasing and financial reports and analysis to client division staff.
- Provides advice on municipal generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) to divisional staff.
- Ensures that the financial transactions recorded are valid, reasonable, accurate and complete in accordance with Municipal Code, corporate and Cluster / divisional policies and procedures.
- Performs detailed analysis of actual and commitments to identify and explain significant operating and capital variances.
- Coordinates and administers year-end closing procedures and year-end journal entries.
- Prepares year-end financial statements for inventory, liabilities, expenditure and reconciliations, for municipal and provincial financial information returns.
- Provides support to the Financial Services Site on the Intranet to provide financial and purchasing information to staff for day to day transactions.
- Provides advice on the applicability of HST on purchases.
- Provides analysis on costs for operating and capital items.
- Provides training support and advice to the divisions on purchasing policies and procedures, setting up of purchasing documents, sole sourcing, amending purchase orders, specialized purchasing, for example, consulting, computer equipment.
- Reviews, monitors and approves purchasing transactions to ensure compliance with City’s Municipal Code, policies and procedures.
- Provides reports and analysis of non-compliance to the Senior Management Team.
- Ensures transactions are properly approved in accordance with financial signing authorities.
- Reviews and provides support on setting up, monitoring and amending Blanket Contracts.
- Provides SAP training support to divisional staff on accessing the City’s Purchasing module on SAP.
- Identifies, performs and supervises analysis and research, and provides strategic advice on financial accounting and purchasing issues for use by Senior Management and/or Council.
- Represents the Cluster / division as required in discussions and negotiations with other Cluster / division and/or outside parties.
- Evaluates financial alternatives, cost/benefit analyses, business cases, etc. for Cluster / division or corporate initiatives.
- Participates on project teams as a financial resource on business processes as assigned.
- Ensures that internal controls are designed and maintained for conducting financial transactions in accordance with City by-laws and procedures.
- Reviews divisional financial systems, reports and initiates corrective action where required.
- Prepares and/or assists in the preparation of financial accounting, purchasing and payables reports to Committee and Council.
- Keeps abreast of relevant Federal and Provincial statutes and regulations, City by-laws and Council directions and agreements; initiates accounting, payables, and purchasing action where required.
- Possession of an accounting designation, e.g. CA, CGA or CMA or equivalent combination of education and experience would be an asset.
- Experience in providing work direction, supervising, training and evaluating staff, as well as handling labour relations matters.
- Considerable accounting experience relevant to the job duties posted above.
- Project management experience including an ability to manage multiple tasks and to work effectively in a fast paced, constantly changing environment.
- Considerable experience in computer based accounting systems, database software packages, electronic spreadsheet, presentation and word processing applications, (i.e. MS Office).
- Thorough understanding of the principles and practices employed in the effective financial analysis of business and government operations.
- Thorough understanding of municipal financial principles and reporting.
- Demonstrated ability to conduct detailed research and analysis and to manage and complete projects of various terms and complexities.
- Advanced interpersonal skills that will promote the establishment of effective working relationships with City and external staff.
- Superior analytical, problem solving and conflict resolution skills.
- Highly developed communication skills, both oral and written, at all organizational levels.
- Familiarity with government legislation in the area of Occupational Health and Safety
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set-up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto’s Accommodation Policy, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the City’s hiring process.
If you are invited to participate in an assessment process, kindly provide your accommodation needs in advance. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process, please email us at (INSERT HR generic email address), quoting the job ID # and the job classification title.