- Performs varied administrative tasks involving the preparation of correspondence, research, reconciliation of data and assistance with all aspects related to the administration of service programs.
- Prepares manuals, reports, statistical letters, memoranda, minutes and other documents in accordance with City standards. Applies and checks layout and formatting guidelines; proof reads own and other’s material.
- Prepares and updates supporting documentation for various program files and applications.
- Reviews incoming applications for accuracy and conformity with regulations, policy and procedures and corrects/resolves outstanding/incorrect items.
- Responds to e-mails, telephone and in-person inquiries from Members of Council, senior staff, the public, agencies and other levels of government utilizing in-depth knowledge of procedures, regulations, criteria and Committee and Council decision making processes.
- Operates office equipment and computers utilizing a variety of software packages, using advanced formatting functions, macros and multiple fonts in Microsoft Word, applying speed, skill and accuracy. Prepares presentation material and selects and presents data.
- Answers inquiries from the public, senior staff, agencies, other levels of government and elected officials utilizing in depth knowledge of procedures, regulations and criteria and computer applications with regard to service programs.
- Coordinates and maintains records/retrieval system or various records/databases using computerized management systems. Develops and updates mailing lists, manual and computerized filing systems and inventory systems.
- Maintains office supply inventories, liaises with internal/external vendors and suppliers.
- Coordinates meetings, events and schedules. Takes/transcribes meeting minutes.
- Receives and pays out cash and cheques, controls, monitor and balances petty cash, prepares bank deposits, withdrawals, reconciliations and processes/checks financial payments.
- Prepares/processes documents and handles issues of a confidential/sensitive nature with appropriate discretion
- Responsible for tracking and reporting attendance and vacation request for the unit.
- Performs research on internet and intranet (e.g. 311 Knowledge Base, Toronto Water website) as required to respond to customer inquires
Your application must describe your qualifications as they relate to:
- Considerable experience in providing customer service to various stakeholders including residential and commercial customers.
- Considerable clerical/administrative experience performing tasks such as records management, preparing correspondence and handling customer inquiries in person, by telephone and in writing.
- Considerable experience Microsoft Office Suite (i.e. Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Access), e-mail.
- Considerable experience creating and formatting documents, reports, charts, spreadsheets and presentations.
- Experience with taking and transcribing minutes.
You must also have:
- Ability to utilize other software packages relevant to supporting the division’s core requirements and able to utilize internet to research effectively.
- Excellent communication skills, both orally and in writing and ability to compose detailed correspondence, letters and memos.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to meet with and deal effectively with all levels of staff, contractors, consultants and the public tactfully and courteously.
- Customer service experience in a Contact Centre environment is preferred.
- Good organizational, analytical, problem solving and multi-tasking skills with the ability to set priorities in a fast paced environment to meet tight, sometimes conflicting, deadlines.
- Ability to exercise independent judgement and discretion in dealing with confidential operational matters.
- Ability to perform detailed, complex calculations.
- Ability to plan and organize appointments, meetings, interviews, conferences etc.
- Familiarity with programs and services in the Toronto Water Division.
- Familiarity using computer based accounting applications/systems, i.e. SAP system.
- Understanding of municipal operations, council proceedings, enforcement, legislation, divisional and political issues as they relate to Environmental Monitoring and Protection.
- Experience in fast paced, highly demanding customer service environment (Council members, officials, staff and public).
- Working knowledge of City Bylaws pertaining to unit and unit objectives.
- Work effectively with employees in team oriented environment.
- Speed and accuracy in data entry functions.
- Problem solving and decision making skills with ability to handle/resolve difficult situations in a professional manner.
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set-up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto’s Accommodation Policy, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the City’s hiring process.
If you are invited to participate in an assessment process, kindly provide your accommodation needs in advance. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process, please email Anthony Gob at firstname.lastname@example.org, quoting the job ID # and the job classification title.