Support Worker – Call in relief. Temporary Short Contract
Posting Date: April 23, 2020
Atlohsa Family Healing Services is seeking motivated and dynamic individuals to fill the role of a temporary Support Worker – Call in Relief for all sites within Atlohsa Family Services. The role of the Support Worker will be required to fill in with reception duties at Atlohsa head office, cooking, cleaning and emotional support for women and children at St. George Street Transitional housing. The Support Worker will also be required to assist with frontline duties at Zhaawanong Women’s shelter, which supports women and children experienc violence and Atlohsa’s Resting Space, which supports those experiencing homelessness. The primary role of the Support Worker is to provide crisis intervention, education on family violence, safety planning, referrals, advocacy services, information, general cooking and cleaning and counseling to women and children who have been exposed to domestic violence at the 24-hour emergency shelter. Other duties will include lay counselling and crisis support at the daytime and overnight resting space. The Support Worker will be supervised directly by the management team at Atlohsa Family Healing Services.
Role and Responsibility
Using a Wholistic Indigenous-led approach to principles of Harm Reduction and Housing First, the successful applicant will offer compassionate and assertive care and support to community members who may be experiencing homelessness, social stigma, mental health, trauma and substance use. The Support worker will be responsible for assessment and intake of community members who are in need of housing, housing support, temporary rest and cultural empowerment. The Support Worker will work with a warm, welcoming and culturally safe approach while fostering a sense of family and community with participants and community members. This may also include providing lay counselling and proactively intervening when crisis or conflict arises; which may include aggressive or disruptive in the moment behavior due to substance use and or mental health. The Support Worker will liaison with other social service agencies, record accurate and detailed shift notes and must be able to provide clear, concise objective communication regarding community members who are supported through Atlohsa’s support systems. The Support Worker will ensure that Atlohsa Family Healing Services is a safe space for all community members accessing services and programming by referring community members to more appropriate locations if the need shall arise.
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of the languages, traditional ways, history and cultures of the Indigenous population in the London region
- Current knowledge of Indigenous community services and resources
- Understanding of Indigenous homelessness, with a demonstrated experience and knowledge of Indigenous traditional family values, childcare practices and healing practices
- Experience with working with marginalized individuals
- Demonstrated ability to receive training support, supervision and direction with the ability to excel in high stress situations
- Demonstrated strengths in interpersonal relations, problem-solving, crisis intervention, group dynamics, community development and other innovative approaches
- Cultural sensitivity and an awareness of its impact on practice
- Skills in conflict resolution, mediation, and negotiation (to build trust and resolve disagreements)
- Excellent organizational and coordination skills and the ability to prioritize multiple competing workload demandsin fast paced environment
- Effective communication (both written and verbal) and interpersonal skills with the ability to interact with others in a respectful manner as defined in the Atlohsa Code of Conduct
- Current Vulnerable Sector check required
- Current Driver’s license and clean driving abstract
Applicants of Indigenous Ancestry preferred.
EMPLOYEMENT TERM: Temporary short-term contract
CLOSING DATE: Ongoing
REMUNERATION: Competitive compensation
Please submit a cover letter and resume or referral to:
Atlohsa Family Healing Services Inc.
Fax No.: 519-438-0070 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org