As a System Development Specialist (Java Developer) within the Enterprise Solutions Delivery Section, you will provide expertise and advice in the initiation, analysis, design, development, implementation and sustainment of business solutions.
- Performs analysis and design duties as well as programming, modelling and scripting, testing, documentation and deployment preparation.
- Coordinates and prepares needs analysis and detailed systems design.
- Conducts user interviews to determine detailed systems requirements.
- Completes preliminary analysis, system and functional design, workflow diagrams for quality systems development.
- Designs, codes, tests, implements and maintains enterprise systems.
- Designs and develops systems that comply with access and privacy legislation.
- Coordinates and develops program specifications and documentation.
- Designs and conducts all levels of testing i.e. unit, system, integration, regression, performance, security, usability, optimization/configuration and coordinates user acceptance testing.
- Liaises and coordinates with internal and external consultants in detailed systems deliverables and technical problem resolution.
- Implements enterprise in-house developed/custom/packaged systems and systems changes.
- Tests integrated systems to ensure system compatibility and proper functional integration.
- Provides application maintenance and enhancement including implementation of vendor systems fixes and patches.
- Conducts quality assurance on departmental and external developments.
- Develops systems interfaces between enterprise and departmental systems.
- Performs information and application data conversions.
- Provides development support to users by providing technical assistance and troubleshooting.
- Provides documentation and instruction/training to users of the system.
- Designs and develops application security interfaces to enable clients in controlling and administering access to their systems.
- Provides expertise, advice and technical skills for information and application service delivery.
- Conducts research and evaluation of hardware/software/framework and makes recommendations.
- Recommends, presents and demonstrates system solutions to City management and corporate business clients.
- Conducts presentations, system demonstrations and system walk-throughs at project review meetings.
- Participates as a team member in the execution of project plans providing technical expertise and advice re: architecture, development tools, work effort estimates.
- Directs the activities of staff, mentors, and recommends training.
- Contributes to project charters, statements of work and project plans, project status reports and variance explanations, risk identification and mitigation planning.
- Conducts research, investigates and recommends best practices for information and application services.
- Contributes to post-implementation project reviews.
- Recommends improvements to current methodologies, processes, standards, policies and guidelines.
- Contributes in planning of future system growth and provides detailed work plans.
- Participates in enterprise projects.
- Conducts feasibility studies, business cases, RFI/P/Q’s, technical reports by researching and participating in evaluations and recommending solutions.
- Determines user training needs.
Your application for the role of Systems Development Specialist (Java Developer) should describe your qualifications as they relate to:
- University degree in Computer Science or a related discipline with extensive system development life-cycle experience in large-scale IT solutions, or the approved equivalent combination of education and/or experience.
- Considerable experience in:
- Solution design and computer programming using Java development software and tools in a Java Enterprise Edition computing environment.
- Data analysis, using SQL and Oracle PL/SQL coding techniques to extract, and report upon, information, business trends, insights and metrics from data stored in the database.
- Eliciting, driving and/or developing solution requirements to ensure that business needs and requirements have been adequately defined and/or the root cause of the problem accurately stated.
- Writing solution architecture documentation, using structured systems analysis and design techniques, systems development methodologies and templates.
- Integrated workflow management solution support that serve the areas of asset management, including planning, program management, project delivery, contract management, cost recovery, service requests and work orders using web, geospatial and mobile technology.
- Experience using Java frameworks (i.e., Struts and Spring), Java APIs, (i.e. REST, JSON and XML).
- Data modelling, development and support experience using database software and tools (i.e., CA ERWin, Oracle SQL Developer).
- Experience using some of the following or equivalent tools and methodologies is required: Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL), Bates Project Management Methodology (PMBOK compliant), SAP ERP, SAP Business Objects BI, JEE, Oracle Database, Oracle Application Express, IBM WebSphere, IBM Maximo, Software AG webMethods, CA Erwin, ESRI ArcGIS, MS Server, MS .Net, MS SQL Server, HP Quality Centre, and the Unified Software Development Process.
- Knowledge of solution design and ability to perform computer programming using Crystal Report software, C/C++ and Microsoft Visual Studio.
You must also have:
- Excellent verbal and written communication, problem-solving, leadership, facilitation and interpersonal skills.
- Strong customer service orientation along with a demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective stakeholder relationships.
- Ability to work effectively as a team member, collaboratively in a multidisciplinary team environment and independently, as required.
- Advanced time management and estimation capabilities and ability to perform several tasks and projects concurrently.
- Ability to develop technology standards, techniques and product specifications.
- Knowledge of current and emerging technologies and skills to evaluate and recommend new technology for introduction into a complex technical environment.
- Ability to develop project plans, projections and cost/benefit analysis of proposed solutions.
- Ability to develop, maintain and execute both test plans and disaster recovery plans.
- Enterprise service bus application integration design and development knowledge (i.e., webMethods).
- Willingness to work flexible hours, including days, afternoons, nights and weekends, as required.
- Ability to be on-call to support production systems.
- Ability to travel across various office locations within the City of Toronto, as required.
Contribute to the vision of “Toronto better served through innovative Information Technology”
As North America’s fourth largest city and Canada’s financial and business capital, the City of Toronto is seeking innovative, proven information technology specialists to join our dynamic team, Help build a best practice IT organization that will be responsive in meeting the needs of our 240+ different lines of business involving more than 20,000 staff at 600+ sites.
Join the Toronto Public Service as a System Development Specialist (Java Developer) within our award-winning IT Division, supporting the City programs and services that ultimately serve approximately 2.8 million residents. The diversity of our IT applications, services and infrastructure mirrors the diversity of our citizens. This includes an infrastructure of over 22,300 desktops/notebooks/workstations, 2,100 servers, 1,000 applications and 1 Petabyte of data. We are proud to be recognized worldwide for our successful use of IT to attract leading-edge business, build skills, generate economic growth and improve government service delivery. Our talented teams are behind the creation of the City’s 3-1-1 Report It Online campaign, Toronto Public Library’s express checkout system and Canada Post’s ePost service.
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set-up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto’s Accommodation Policy, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the City’s hiring process.
If you are invited to participate in an assessment process, kindly provide your accommodation needs in advance. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, quoting the job ID # and the job classification title.