Reporting to the Manager, Business Intelligence Services (BIS) in I&T Enterprise Solutions Services you will be assigned to the Business and Data Analytics team to provide expert Business Intelligence functional and technical consulting, implementation and sustainment services to support City Business Intelligence initiatives.
- Provides expertise and advice in the areas of: initiation, analysis, design, development, implementation and sustainment of enterprise solutions
- Contributes in the development of corporate system architecture, methodologies, standards, policies, procedures and guidelines
- Performs analysis and design duties as well as programming, modelling and scripting, testing, documentation and deployment preparation. Coordinates and prepares needs analysis and detailed systems design
- Conducts user interviews to determine detailed systems requirements
- Completes preliminary analysis, system and functional design, work flow diagrams for quality systems development
- Designs, codes, tests, implements and maintains enterprise systems
- Designs and develops systems that comply with access and privacy legislation
- Coordinates and develops program specifications and documentation
- Designs and conducts all levels of testing i.e. unit, system, integration, regression, performance, security, usability, optimization/configuration and coordinates user acceptance testing
- Liaises and coordinates with internal and external consultants in detailed systems deliverables and technical problem resolution
- Implements enterprise in-house developed/custom/packaged systems and systems changes
- Tests integrated systems to ensure system compatibility and proper functional integration. Provides application maintenance and enhancement including implementation of vendor systems fixes and patches. Conducts quality assurance on departmental and external developments
- Develops systems interfaces between enterprise and divisional systems
- Performs information and application data conversions and extractions
- Provides development support to users by providing technical assistance and trouble shooting
- Provides documentation and instruction/training to users of the system
- Designs and develops application security interfaces to enable clients in controlling and administering access to their systems
- Provides expertise, advice and technical skills for information and application service delivery
- Conducts research and evaluation of hardware/software/framework and makes recommendations
- Recommends, presents and demonstrates system solutions to City management and corporate business clients
- Conducts presentations, system demonstrations and system walk-throughs at project review meetings
- Participates as a team member in the execution of project plans providing technical expertise and advice re: architecture, development tools, work effort estimates
- Directs the activities of staff, mentors, and recommends training
- Contributes to project charters, statements of work and project plans, project status reports and variance explanations, risk identification and mitigation planning
- Conducts research, investigates and recommends best practices for information and application services
- Contributes to post-implementation project reviews
- Recommends improvements to current methodologies, processes, standards, policies and guidelines
- Contributes in planning of future system growth and provides detailed work plans
- Participates in enterprise projects
- Conducts feasibility studies, business cases, RFI/P/Q’s, technical reports by researching and participating in evaluations and recommending solutions. Determines user training needs
Your application for the role of System Development Specialist (SAP BI Developer) should describe your qualifications as they relate to:
- Post-secondary education in computer science or a related discipline with several years of progressively more responsible experience in large-scale information technology systems or the equivalent combination of education and/or experience.
- Extensive design and development experience in SAP BusinessObjects BI 4.x suite tools including Web Intelligence, Analysis for OLAP, Analysis for MS, and Dashboards.
- Experience in Design Studio (SAP source) and SAP Lumira (SAP and non-SAP sources).
- Experience leveraging SAP BW 7.x /BW on HANA as the key data source for SAP Business Objects BI implementations
- Experience in Bex Query development, including calculated and restricted key figures, authorisation variables, global structures
- Considerable experience and training in the development and testing of SAP BW/BI based applications to address business requirements.
You must also have:
- SAP Business Objects BI Suite 4.0 or above professional certification or equivalent work experience.
- Experience on non-SAP source for SAP Business Objects BI implementations is an asset (Universe Designer, Information Design tool)
- Design and development experience in SAP BW 7.x/BW on HANA including Infoobjects, Infoproviders, Multiproviders is an asset
- The City has committed to specific tools and methodologies that support large scale information and technology projects. Experience using some of the following or equivalent tools and methodologies is required. Examples include SAP Information Steward, SAP Data Services, SAP BW, SAP BusinessObjects BI, Erwin, Oracle Warehouse Builder, Rational Rose UML, HP Quality Center Testing Suite, MS Sharepoint, MS SQL Server, IBM Websphere, Java, J2EE, EJB, HTML, XML, Powerbuilder, Visual Basic, SAP (ABAP).
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills and an aptitude to work independently and collaboratively with others in a multidisciplinary team setting
- Effective teamwork, facilitation, communications, conflict resolution and problem solving skills and incident management in projects, assignments and service engagements
- Advanced time management and estimation capabilities and ability to perform several tasks and projects concurrently
- Ability to be on call for support of production systems, as required
- Ability to travel across various office locations within the City of Toronto, as required.
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set-up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto’s Accommodation Policy, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the City’s hiring process.
If you are invited to participate in an assessment process, kindly provide your accommodation needs in advance. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.