LANDS ADVISORY BOARD
FIRST NATIONS LAND MANAGEMENT RESOURCE CENTRE
TITLE: Technician First Nation Support Services
The Framework Agreement on First Nation Land Management is a significant expression of Indigenous ingenuity and modern efforts to shed the colonial legacy of the Indian Act. Our team at the First Nations Management Resource Centre is cutting edge, dedicated and experienced in assisting First Nations to develop workable solutions to the everyday challenges of community led lands and resources governance. We are currently searching for motivated and qualified candidates for the following positions:
Technician, First Nations Support Services East, Prairies & BC – 4 Positions
Please note: The successful candidate will ideally reside in one of the following areas, however applicants who do not reside in the identified areas but meet the qualifications may be considered.
Eastern Region – 2 Positions
Position 1- Thunder Bay, ON
Position 2 – Ottawa, ON (National Capital Region)
Prairie Region – 1 Position – Edmonton, AB, Calgary, AB or Saskatoon, SK, Regina, SK
British Columbia – 1 Position – Vancouver Island, Lower Mainland, Fraser Valley
As part of the Framework Agreement on First Nation Land Management (Framework Agreement), the Lands Advisory Board (LAB) and the First Nations Land Management Resource Centre (FNLMRC) provide political and technical support to developmental and operational First Nations. The developmental process under the Framework Agreement consists of a series of activities including the drafting of community land codes, implementing communication strategies and community voting procedures, as well as finalizing Individual Agreements with Canada. Once a First Nation ratifies its Land Code and becomes operational, the LAB and FNLMRC provide various support services such as assisting/advising with drafting land laws, rules, procedures, agreements, instruments, as well as implementing land governance systems and facilitating agreements and other arrangements with municipal, provincial, federal or First Nation governments.
Duties will vary, although the following gives a general outline of the tasks involved:
- Assisting operational FNs to implement their land codes
- Assisting developmental FNs to draft a land code and conduct a community ratification process
- Providing information to, or meeting with, First Nations interested in becoming signatories to the Framework Agreement;
- Assisting in developing quarterly reports and the LAB annual report;
- Any other related workload in keeping with the LAB, FNLMRC and FNs’ responsibilities in implementing the Framework Agreement.
- University or other post secondary degree in a related field or a suitable combination of education and related experience or experience working with First Nations.
- Excellent writing, research and analytical skills.
- Good understanding of the Framework Agreement.
- Proficiency with software programs such as Microsoft office, Skype, Go To Meeting
- Experience working with the First Nations, preferably in supporting First Nation self-government efforts particularly in the area of reserve lands and natural resources
- Experience working with multiple stakeholders on common files.
- Knowledge of land and environment issues related to First Nations’ land.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Effective interpersonal relationships.
- Tact and Good judgement.
- Due to the amount of work with First Nation communities, preference may be given to candidates with Aboriginal ancestry.
- Aboriginal language fluency is an asset.
- Bilingual (French) is an asset
- Must be willing to travel, this position will include overnight and day travel and includes evening and weekend work.
- Candidates must possess a valid Driver’s License and access to a reliable personal vehicle.
- Candidate must work from a home office environment and be centrally located to facilitate travel.
- Interviews with will be conducted.
- A written test may be administered.
- Reference checks will be conducted.
- A criminal records check may be requested.
Salary $65,000 – $75,000 annually plus a generous benefits package.
We thank all those who apply. Only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
Application Deadline: November 2, 2018
Applications received past this date will not be considered.
Please forward your cover letter, indicating which position & location you are applying for and clearly demonstrating how you meet the requirements of the position along with your resume to:
Or by fax: (866) 817-2394