Reporting to the Supervisor, Desktop Services, you will assist as a technical deployment lead for our upcoming hardware and software refreshes. You will provide desktop support for Information Technology hardware and software, and respond to enquiries from users regarding IT issues and service requests, after you have gathered the user information you will provide a technical assessment, analysis and resolve the issue(s).
- Provides 2nd level support for the desktop infrastructure including client computing devices, peripherals, printers and software
- Assesses, deploys, installs and configures hardware and software sustained through Life Cycle Management Program
- Provides recommendations to senior analysts on hardware and software technologies, desktop security and deployment alternatives
- Serves as backup local contact for network/server and other IT management teams on hardware and software technologies, connectivity and backup and recovery alternatives and other initiatives impacting the desktop infrastructure
- Participates in team projects and committees and makes recommendations for improvements on technical standards, processes, upgrades, new technologies and service delivery initiatives
- Conducts testing and evaluation to assist clients/IT Division in selecting new or enhanced systems, products or services
- Responds and resolves enquiries from clients regarding IT problems and service requests
- Installs, configures, troubleshoots and resolves hardware, software and network/server connectivity issues
- Provides technical assessment, analysis, evaluation of alternatives and resolution of technical and deployment issues and problems
- Liaises and coordinates with internal and external groups, including external vendors, to resolve technical issues
- Prepares client needs analysis, technical guidance and makes recommendations in the selection of new hardware and software for clients
- Develops technical documentation, procedures, instructions and training material in various media channels
- Provides training to clients in use of desktop technology and prepares training material for coaching clients
- Develops statistical and trend reports for review. Makes recommendations for changes to systems, environments, user training or service delivery
- Recommends preventative solutions to mitigate recurrence of similar problems
- Implements City-wide desktop hardware and software upgrades.
- Provides on-site implementation support for other IT and client Divisional initiatives and new large-scale hardware and software solutions
- Maintains inventory of IT assets and disposes of hardware and software
- Provides guidance to Technology Analyst 2
- Performs desktop-related IT tasks in response to issues, client service requests, and operational requirements as assigned
- Attends meeting with clients, IT teams and works in project, temporary and ongoing functional work teams
- Participates in teams for deployment and application of fixes in emergency IT response scenarios such as malware containment and related situations
- Travels within the City of Toronto as required. Travels to other GTA locations for training and ad-hoc computer support
Your application must describe your qualifications as they relate to:
- Post-Secondary education in computer science or related discipline, or the approved combination of education and experience working on large scale technology projects.
- Considerable experience in continuous hands-on desktop support functioning in a desktop support role.
- Extensive knowledge and experience dealing with technical issues and advanced PC hardware and software configuration at the desktop and printers.
- In depth knowledge and experience with configuring and troubleshooting technical issues with Microsoft Windows 7/10, Microsoft Office 2013 Suite, Outlook, IE 11, Firefox and desktop imaging.
- Strong technical experience configuring, supporting and troubleshooting mobile computing devices, such as Tablets, Notebooks, Toughbook’s, Smartphones and handheld devices.
- Demonstrated experience leading IT related projects and initiatives
- Demonstrated experience of network protocols and services (TCP/IP, DNS, SMTP, etc.)
You must also have:
- Possession of a valid Ontario class “G” Driver’s Licence and access to a properly insured vehicle.
- Must be willing to work weekends and overtime when requested
- Ability to lift objects (up to 20 kgs).
- Ability to travel within the City Of Toronto as required.
- Strong conceptual, analytical and problem solving skills.
- Proven commitment to customer service, performance quality and continuous improvement.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to convey, clearly and effectively to a variety of audiences.
- Strong customer service skills and ability to excel in a client-focused environment, with excellent interpersonal and relationship-building skills and the ability to build collaborative relationships.
- Strong working knowledge of the functionality of Active Directory, Symantec Ghost, Symantec Endpoint Protection.
- Ability to prioritize, plan, organize and work independently and cooperatively with others in a team environment.
- Knowledge of Batch and VB scripts is an asset
- Applicants are required to demonstrate in their applications/resumes that their qualifications match those specified in the job posting.
- Additional information submitted after the job posting closing date will not be accepted
- Assessment will include a written technical test and interview(s), Location of assessment to be determined.
- A candidate list will be established
Contribute to the vision of “Toronto better served through innovative Information Technology”
As North America’s fourth largest city and Canada’s financial and business capital, the City of Toronto is seeking innovative, proven information technology specialists to join our dynamic team. Help build a best practice IT organization that will be responsive in meeting the needs of our 240+ different lines of business involving more than 20,000 staff at 600+ sites.
Join the Toronto Public Service as an Enterprise IT Training Designer / Developer within our award-winning IT Division, supporting the City programs and services that ultimately serve approximately 2.8 million residents. The diversity of our IT applications, services and infrastructure mirrors the diversity of our citizens. This includes an infrastructure of over 22,300 desktops/notebooks/workstations, 2,100 servers, 1,000 applications and 1 petabyte of data. We are proud to be recognized worldwide for our successful use of IT to attract leading-edge business, build skills, generate economic growth and improve government service delivery. Our talented teams are behind the creation of the Toronto Public Library’s express checkout system, the City’s 3-1-1 Report It Online campaign, and the integration with Canada Post’s ePost Service.
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set-up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto’s Accommodation Policy, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the City’s hiring process.
If you are invited to participate in an assessment process, kindly provide your accommodation needs in advance. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.