BC Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations
Victoria, British Columbia
Timber Export Professional
Salary $61,497.44 – $76,810.03 annually
As the Timber Export Professional, you will be responsible for facilitating the development of timber export policy. By legislation, export approval for timber exports is granted by the Minister of Forests, Lands & Natural Resource Operations as Ministerial Orders, or in specific circumstances, by the Lieutenant Governor in Council, in the form of Orders in Council (OIC) where the timber is surplus to domestic manufacturing needs. The Timber Export Professional provides the supporting analysis and research for the Timber Export Specialist to properly advise Cabinet or the Minister on these decisions. The program assesses a fee-in-lieu of manufacture which is billed upon the request for an export permit. (In 2013 the collected fees were in excess of $30 million of provincial revenue). This position also works on tracking and advising on timber residual (wood chips, sawdust and shavings, hog fuel) export applications that play a significant role in balancing provincial supply and demand for these by-products which are used extensively as raw material in the domestic pulp and paper industry and emerging bioenergy sector.
This role will apply your sound professional judgment, ability to implement creative solutions in the field of natural resource management, and you will be a critical player in a busy and exciting workplace.
This position is also posted as a Scientific Technical Officer 27 under REQ 39221, for more information go to: https://search.employment.gov.bc.ca/cgi-bin/a/highlightjob.cgi?jobid=39221
Qualifications for this role include:
- Bachelor’s degree in Forestry or related discipline and a combination of education, training and experience.
- Registered, or immediately eligible for registration, as a Registered Professional Forester with the Association of BC Forest Professionals. Immediately eligible means: currently registered member in good standing as a Professional Forester (RFP) in another Canadian Jurisdiction and can immediately transfer to ABCFP.
- Minimum of three years’ experience in forestry and logging operations, including timber harvesting; appraisal; interpretation of policy standards and procedures and their application.
- Experience in domestic and export markets for logs, solid wood products, and wood residue, including familiarity with US trade restrictions; and export of un-manufactured forest products.
- Experience in fibre supply and its administration in BC, including government administration and forest company operations.
- Experience working with government and industry working groups, using negotiating and communications skills to deal with issues.
For more information and to apply by March 2, 2017, please go to: https://search.employment.gov.bc.ca/cgi-bin/a/highlightjob.cgi?jobid=39219
Attention: only applications submitted through the BC Public Service’s employment website (see link above) will be accepted.