- Performs skilled fabrication and maintenance welding using various methods and materials.
- Estimates equipment/materials required.
- Performs skilled tasks in all types of welding, brazing, spray-welding, oxy-acetylene torch and plasma-arc cutting, grinding etc.
- Works with a variety of materials such as steels, ferrous and non-ferrous metals, ceramics and related materials.
- Performs various types of brazing using an oxy-acetylene torch and related equipment.
- Performs tasks involving forging, heat treatment, fabrication and fashioning of metals to make or repair tools, equipment, machinery, automotive equipment, etc.
- Provides work direction and training to others. Communicates related activities verbally, in writing or by computer, including the preparation of reports, details of work completed, data logging, etc. Prepares sketches as required.
- Performs a variety of skilled work not requiring the service of other licensed trade.
- Drives to various work locations and may be required to drive heavy vehicles/equipment for welding maintenance.
- Performs other related work as assigned.
Your application must describe your qualifications as they relate to:
- Must possess and be able to maintain a valid Certificate of Qualification (all positions) as a Welder in accordance with the regulations enforced in the Province of Ontario and/or must possess and be able to maintain a valid certificate Shielded Metal Arc Welding (SMAW) Electric Arc (all positions) from the Canadian Welding Bureau.
- Experience working safely on pipes and equipment that may contain hazardous chemicals or gases, following all recognized procedures.
- Must possess and be able to maintain a valid Province of Ontario, Class ‘G’ Driver’s License, with an acceptable drivers record as per the MTO policy (non-probationary) with a drivers abstract that demonstrates the ability to obtain a DZ license.
You must also have:
- Skill in the use of all types of AC and DC welding machines, as well as TIG, MIG carbon arc cutting, plasma-arc cutting, oxy-acetylene torch cutting, brazing and spray welding.
- Considerable knowledge of the properties of various grades of iron, steel, ferrous and nonferrous materials.
- Must be skilled in the use of all tools and equipment related to the welding trade.
- Ability to read and interpret sketches (maps/ blueprints), and to produce sketches and working drawings of fabrication, repairs or modifications of equipment, tools or machinery.
- Ability to prepare detailed reports, maintain accurate records and to communicate effectively verbally and in writing including a computer.
- With appropriate safety precautions and training, be able to work at heights, in confined areas and in odorous areas.
- Ability to provide work direction and training to others.
- Ability to work in various garages/locations.
- Must be eligible to qualify for the City’s equipment operating permits in accordance with Fleet’s Safety Policy.
- Must be available to work rotating shifts/weekends or overtime.
- Must be physically capable of performing required duties and must be able to work in all weather conditions.
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set-up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto’s Accommodation Policy, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the City’s hiring process.
If you are invited to participate in an assessment process, kindly provide your accommodation needs in advance. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.